- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
Grimes even responded to one meme.
Elon Musk, an Iron Man who built a regular car instead of a flying suit, and Grimes, an avant-garde musical artist, are officially dating. Congratulations? Ever since the unlikely couple made their public debut at the swanky Met Gala on Monday, the internet has been meme-ing the heck out of them.
Grimes, real name Claire Boucher, is one of the last cool celebrities, and it pained some to see her dating a tech-bro billionaire with some questionable ideas about the safety of his workers.
i seriously think the grimes thing has pushed our generation just past the point of no return in terms of collective alienation— Turing Police (@turing_police) May 8, 2018
Elon Musk dating Grimes is all the proof you need to know we’re in a simulation.— Hungrybox (@LiquidHbox) May 7, 2018
Plus, it was just funny to extrapolate from their public personas and imagine what their relationship must be like.
Don’t they look cute together?
absolute hottest take on elon & grimes pic.twitter.com/pl88ZDTGIe— false smerdis (@literallymaeve) May 8, 2018
Oh, sorry, that’s Janis Ian and Damien from Mean Girls. Anyway, don’t Elon and Grimes look adorable?
elon musk and grimes pic.twitter.com/H0Cfz2B8ri— Emily Gould (@EmilyGould) May 8, 2018
Oops! I’m being informed that’s Lydia Deetz and Beetlejuice from Beetlejuice. Let’s try this again.
Elon Musk and Grimes make their debut at the Met Gala pic.twitter.com/plAvt2xvc6— despite your efforts you cannot escape pajamashaw (@pajamashaw) May 8, 2018
Well, that’s Gideon Graves and Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which seems just a little bit on the nose. Let’s move on, shall we?
When they’re not posting parody couple photos, the Grusk haters are coming up with ridiculous “couple names” for the new duo. I don’t think “Grusk” is going to stick, but what about these?https://twitter.com/SpencerGilbard/status/994288990902681601
When you realize that Grimes’s and Elon Musk’s couple name is Grimy Musk and have to go throw up a little— Lamar Vulture Man (@FatherGlamor) May 9, 2018
Grimes and Elon Musk’s couple name pic.twitter.com/mwPzSXXcee— jabba (@sarah_hartman22) May 9, 2018
How do people not know of Grimes before this? Anyways, hopefully they name their child after their couple name, Gron. Gron.GRON.— SCATMAN (@OccultBloom) May 9, 2018
Tired: Grimes and Elon Musk’s couple name is “Grusk”— Anne Ferguson (@aefergart) May 8, 2018
Wired: It’s actually Eclair(e)
the grimes/musk couple name should be "stank"— hotdog princess (@sailorfiona) May 9, 2018
Take your pick. I like ‘Description of an Old Basement’ personally, but there are so many terrible options to choose from!
Musk was already a favorite target of memers, whether they were making fun of his futurism or calling him “Elongated Muskrat.” Now that he’s in elongated muskrat love with a well-liked celebrity, the meme potential is through the roof.
As the cool kids of the internet fall into despair that the billionaire class has seemingly tainted another one of their heroes, I’ll leave you with this footage that’s been going around of Musk and Grimes at home.
Elon Musk: Hey babe where do you want to go to dinner ?— fatty (@fatandfem) May 9, 2018
Grimes : pic.twitter.com/JMBr9ojh1b
You think it’s a joke, but no. This is real life. Grimes responded to the tweet on Wednesday afternoon with the caption, “accurate.”
accurate https://t.co/WE7CdGtSeE— Grimes (@Grimezsz) May 9, 2018
At least she’s having fun with the internet’s reaction to her relationship.
Musk also responded to a Fifth Element meme about the couple’s relationship on Twitter Wednesday night.
So rococo— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 9, 2018
His reply is a reference to a pun about an AI thought experiment, Roko’s Basilisk, which launched the relationship. So they are that kind of couple on Twitter.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.