- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok 1 Year Ago
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? 1 Year Ago
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved 1 Year Ago
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari 1 Year Ago
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Today 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Today 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Today 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Today 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Today 2:45 PM
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming Today 2:33 PM
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash Today 11:51 AM
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo Today 11:39 AM
Grimes even responded to one meme.
Elon Musk, an Iron Man who built a regular car instead of a flying suit, and Grimes, an avant-garde musical artist, are officially dating. Congratulations? Ever since the unlikely couple made their public debut at the swanky Met Gala on Monday, the internet has been meme-ing the heck out of them.
Grimes, real name Claire Boucher, is one of the last cool celebrities, and it pained some to see her dating a tech-bro billionaire with some questionable ideas about the safety of his workers.
i seriously think the grimes thing has pushed our generation just past the point of no return in terms of collective alienation
— Turing Police (@turing_police) May 8, 2018
Elon Musk dating Grimes is all the proof you need to know we’re in a simulation.
— Hungrybox (@LiquidHbox) May 7, 2018
Plus, it was just funny to extrapolate from their public personas and imagine what their relationship must be like.
Don’t they look cute together?
absolute hottest take on elon & grimes pic.twitter.com/pl88ZDTGIe
— false smerdis (@literallymaeve) May 8, 2018
Oh, sorry, that’s Janis Ian and Damien from Mean Girls. Anyway, don’t Elon and Grimes look adorable?
elon musk and grimes pic.twitter.com/H0Cfz2B8ri
— Emily Gould (@EmilyGould) May 8, 2018
Oops! I’m being informed that’s Lydia Deetz and Beetlejuice from Beetlejuice. Let’s try this again.
Elon Musk and Grimes make their debut at the Met Gala pic.twitter.com/plAvt2xvc6
— despite your efforts you cannot escape pajamashaw (@pajamashaw) May 8, 2018
Well, that’s Gideon Graves and Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which seems just a little bit on the nose. Let’s move on, shall we?
When they’re not posting parody couple photos, the Grusk haters are coming up with ridiculous “couple names” for the new duo. I don’t think “Grusk” is going to stick, but what about these?
WE NEED A COUPLE💕NAME FOR GRIMES AND MUSK. Mimes? 🤡 Description of an old basement? 🤔 pic.twitter.com/u47APNIveM
— Spencer Gilbard (@SpencerGilbard) May 9, 2018
When you realize that Grimes’s and Elon Musk’s couple name is Grimy Musk and have to go throw up a little
— Lamar Vulture Man (@FatherGlamor) May 9, 2018
Grimes and Elon Musk’s couple name pic.twitter.com/mwPzSXXcee
— jabba (@sarah_hartman22) May 9, 2018
How do people not know of Grimes before this? Anyways, hopefully they name their child after their couple name, Gron. Gron.GRON.
— SCATMAN (@OccultBloom) May 9, 2018
Tired: Grimes and Elon Musk’s couple name is “Grusk”
Wired: It’s actually Eclair(e)
— Anne Ferguson (@aefergart) May 8, 2018
the grimes/musk couple name should be "stank"
— hotdog princess (@sailorfiona) May 9, 2018
Take your pick. I like ‘Description of an Old Basement’ personally, but there are so many terrible options to choose from!
Musk was already a favorite target of memers, whether they were making fun of his futurism or calling him “Elongated Muskrat.” Now that he’s in elongated muskrat love with a well-liked celebrity, the meme potential is through the roof.
As the cool kids of the internet fall into despair that the billionaire class has seemingly tainted another one of their heroes, I’ll leave you with this footage that’s been going around of Musk and Grimes at home.
Elon Musk: Hey babe where do you want to go to dinner ?
Grimes : pic.twitter.com/JMBr9ojh1b
— fatty (@fatandfem) May 9, 2018
You think it’s a joke, but no. This is real life. Grimes responded to the tweet on Wednesday afternoon with the caption, “accurate.”
— Grimes (@Grimezsz) May 9, 2018
At least she’s having fun with the internet’s reaction to her relationship.
Musk also responded to a Fifth Element meme about the couple’s relationship on Twitter Wednesday night.
ELON MUSK AND GRIMES BE LIKE “ᵐ ᵘ L ᵗᶦᵖᵃˢˢ” pic.twitter.com/XbHkkot3bp
— [ 𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 ] (@freebasecatnip) May 7, 2018
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 9, 2018
His reply is a reference to a pun about an AI thought experiment, Roko’s Basilisk, which launched the relationship. So they are that kind of couple on Twitter.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.