- The ‘Smooth Bernie’ conspiracy is false, but the memes are fire 2 Years Ago
- Trump says he wants to raise the vaping age to 21 Today 3:07 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ comes to a crossroads in Chapter 3 Today 1:11 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Servant’ will make you scared of reborn dolls Today 1:05 PM
- Lindsey Graham roasted for turning his back on a veteran Today 12:52 PM
- Scooter Braun asks Taylor Swift for ‘resolution’ after allegedly getting death threats Today 12:35 PM
- ‘Frozen 2’ plays it safe and lacks the magic of the original Today 12:19 PM
- Graphic video shows police pinning man face-down in subway station Today 12:18 PM
- Mini-documentary shows Trump supporters clashing at Denny’s Today 11:52 AM
- Here’s why ‘Furry and Proud’ is trending on Twitter Today 11:16 AM
- Sacha Baron Cohen calls tech giants the ‘greatest propaganda machine in history’ Today 11:04 AM
- ‘Resistance Reborn’ is a must-read before ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Today 10:14 AM
- Stephen Miller should be fired, more than 100 lawmakers say Today 9:56 AM
- YouTube star Bretman Rock goes off on fans who wanted selfies during his dad’s funeral Today 9:14 AM
- The U.S. Army is reevaluating its use of TikTok after security concerns Today 8:45 AM
Elon Musk, an Iron Man who built a regular car instead of a flying suit, and Grimes, an avant-garde musical artist, are officially dating. Congratulations? Ever since the unlikely couple made their public debut at the swanky Met Gala on Monday, the internet has been meme-ing the heck out of them.
Grimes, real name Claire Boucher, is one of the last cool celebrities, and it pained some to see her dating a tech-bro billionaire with some questionable ideas about the safety of his workers.
i seriously think the grimes thing has pushed our generation just past the point of no return in terms of collective alienation— Turing Police (@turing_police) May 8, 2018
Elon Musk dating Grimes is all the proof you need to know we’re in a simulation.— Hungrybox (@LiquidHbox) May 7, 2018
Plus, it was just funny to extrapolate from their public personas and imagine what their relationship must be like.
Don’t they look cute together?
absolute hottest take on elon & grimes pic.twitter.com/pl88ZDTGIe— false smerdis (@literallymaeve) May 8, 2018
Oh, sorry, that’s Janis Ian and Damien from Mean Girls. Anyway, don’t Elon and Grimes look adorable?
elon musk and grimes pic.twitter.com/H0Cfz2B8ri— Emily Gould (@EmilyGould) May 8, 2018
Oops! I’m being informed that’s Lydia Deetz and Beetlejuice from Beetlejuice. Let’s try this again.
Elon Musk and Grimes make their debut at the Met Gala pic.twitter.com/plAvt2xvc6— despite your efforts you cannot escape pajamashaw (@pajamashaw) May 8, 2018
Well, that’s Gideon Graves and Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which seems just a little bit on the nose. Let’s move on, shall we?
When they’re not posting parody couple photos, the Grusk haters are coming up with ridiculous “couple names” for the new duo. I don’t think “Grusk” is going to stick, but what about these?https://twitter.com/SpencerGilbard/status/994288990902681601
When you realize that Grimes’s and Elon Musk’s couple name is Grimy Musk and have to go throw up a little— Lamar Vulture Man (@FatherGlamor) May 9, 2018
Grimes and Elon Musk’s couple name pic.twitter.com/mwPzSXXcee— jabba (@sarah_hartman22) May 9, 2018
How do people not know of Grimes before this? Anyways, hopefully they name their child after their couple name, Gron. Gron.GRON.— SCATMAN (@OccultBloom) May 9, 2018
Tired: Grimes and Elon Musk’s couple name is “Grusk”— Anne Ferguson (@aefergart) May 8, 2018
Wired: It’s actually Eclair(e)
the grimes/musk couple name should be "stank"— hotdog princess (@sailorfiona) May 9, 2018
Take your pick. I like ‘Description of an Old Basement’ personally, but there are so many terrible options to choose from!
Musk was already a favorite target of memers, whether they were making fun of his futurism or calling him “Elongated Muskrat.” Now that he’s in elongated muskrat love with a well-liked celebrity, the meme potential is through the roof.
As the cool kids of the internet fall into despair that the billionaire class has seemingly tainted another one of their heroes, I’ll leave you with this footage that’s been going around of Musk and Grimes at home.
Elon Musk: Hey babe where do you want to go to dinner ?— fatty (@fatandfem) May 9, 2018
Grimes : pic.twitter.com/JMBr9ojh1b
You think it’s a joke, but no. This is real life. Grimes responded to the tweet on Wednesday afternoon with the caption, “accurate.”
accurate https://t.co/WE7CdGtSeE— Grimes (@Grimezsz) May 9, 2018
At least she’s having fun with the internet’s reaction to her relationship.
Musk also responded to a Fifth Element meme about the couple’s relationship on Twitter Wednesday night.
So rococo— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 9, 2018
His reply is a reference to a pun about an AI thought experiment, Roko’s Basilisk, which launched the relationship. So they are that kind of couple on Twitter.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.