- Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme Tuesday 11:18 PM
- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
Donald Trump singing Smash Mouth’s ‘All Star’ almost makes this election worth it
He ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed.
Whatever one might say about Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, both sides of the aisle agree that he is extremely meme-able. Just look at that incredibly expressive orange rind of a face, a blessing to all #content creators. But at some point, we must reach the apotheosis of Trump memes. One of them must be the best, for all time.
Here it is:
Boom, Smash Mouthed!
Let’s put this brutal owning of Donald Trump by the genius Ellie Sunakawa on repeat and discuss what makes it so good and so funny.
For one, the editing here is tremendous. The intonation of the clips Sunakawa picked is spot-on, and that laugh at the end… magnificent. It’s the total package.
Second, and more important: Smash Mouth. Smash Mouth’s currency in the meme world is strong for a lot of reasons: nostalgia for the late ’90s, Steve Harwell’s facial hair, the bread incident. But the band’s dankest feature, from a meme perspective, is its association with Shrek. The beloved ogre franchise has long been a Tumblr goldmine, and Smash Mouth’s many public attempts to shed their reputation as “the Shrek band” have only tied them more strongly to the movie.
“All Star” and the Donald Trump candidacy are both essentially Shrek jokes at this point, so putting them together is a stroke of genius. I’ll probably regret writing this in a few years, when I’m locked in one of God-Emperor Trump’s reeducation camps, but we may as well speak our truth while we still can.
In conclusion, this is the last, best Trump meme. We don’t need any more. The meme pool is full.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.