- Spotify will soon let you block R. Kelly Monday 6:01 PM
- New Click to Pray app lets you pray with Pope Francis Monday 5:30 PM
- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 Monday 4:54 PM
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Monday 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Monday 3:06 PM
- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government Monday 2:04 PM
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Monday 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Monday 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Monday 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Monday 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Monday 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Monday 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Monday 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Monday 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Monday 9:40 AM
Donald Trump singing Smash Mouth’s ‘All Star’ almost makes this election worth it
He ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed.
Whatever one might say about Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, both sides of the aisle agree that he is extremely meme-able. Just look at that incredibly expressive orange rind of a face, a blessing to all #content creators. But at some point, we must reach the apotheosis of Trump memes. One of them must be the best, for all time.
Here it is:
Boom, Smash Mouthed!
Let’s put this brutal owning of Donald Trump by the genius Ellie Sunakawa on repeat and discuss what makes it so good and so funny.
For one, the editing here is tremendous. The intonation of the clips Sunakawa picked is spot-on, and that laugh at the end… magnificent. It’s the total package.
Second, and more important: Smash Mouth. Smash Mouth’s currency in the meme world is strong for a lot of reasons: nostalgia for the late ’90s, Steve Harwell’s facial hair, the bread incident. But the band’s dankest feature, from a meme perspective, is its association with Shrek. The beloved ogre franchise has long been a Tumblr goldmine, and Smash Mouth’s many public attempts to shed their reputation as “the Shrek band” have only tied them more strongly to the movie.
“All Star” and the Donald Trump candidacy are both essentially Shrek jokes at this point, so putting them together is a stroke of genius. I’ll probably regret writing this in a few years, when I’m locked in one of God-Emperor Trump’s reeducation camps, but we may as well speak our truth while we still can.
In conclusion, this is the last, best Trump meme. We don’t need any more. The meme pool is full.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.