- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
Donald Trump singing Smash Mouth’s ‘All Star’ almost makes this election worth it
He ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed.
Whatever one might say about Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, both sides of the aisle agree that he is extremely meme-able. Just look at that incredibly expressive orange rind of a face, a blessing to all #content creators. But at some point, we must reach the apotheosis of Trump memes. One of them must be the best, for all time.
Here it is:
Boom, Smash Mouthed!
Let’s put this brutal owning of Donald Trump by the genius Ellie Sunakawa on repeat and discuss what makes it so good and so funny.
For one, the editing here is tremendous. The intonation of the clips Sunakawa picked is spot-on, and that laugh at the end… magnificent. It’s the total package.
Second, and more important: Smash Mouth. Smash Mouth’s currency in the meme world is strong for a lot of reasons: nostalgia for the late ’90s, Steve Harwell’s facial hair, the bread incident. But the band’s dankest feature, from a meme perspective, is its association with Shrek. The beloved ogre franchise has long been a Tumblr goldmine, and Smash Mouth’s many public attempts to shed their reputation as “the Shrek band” have only tied them more strongly to the movie.
“All Star” and the Donald Trump candidacy are both essentially Shrek jokes at this point, so putting them together is a stroke of genius. I’ll probably regret writing this in a few years, when I’m locked in one of God-Emperor Trump’s reeducation camps, but we may as well speak our truth while we still can.
In conclusion, this is the last, best Trump meme. We don’t need any more. The meme pool is full.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.