- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
What’s weirder than Danny DeVito? A shrine to Danny DeVito. In a bathroom. Behind a paper towel dispenser. Honestly, no words do it justice. You’ve got to see it to believe it’s not some punchline to an It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia joke.
the best thing about my school is the danny devito shrine hidden behind the paper towel dispenser in one of the bathrooms pic.twitter.com/3jFe0V9eK6— snootosphere (@slackerdook) November 13, 2018
Twitter user Evan @slackerdook recently decided to investigate a rumor he’d been hearing for weeks at his college, the State University of New York at Purchase. Evan is a sophomore there, and he’d heard tales about a room concealed behind the walls of the boy’s bathroom like something out of a Harry Potter novel.
“I totally thought people were joking or at least thought it wasn’t so hidden,” he told the Daily Dot.
A couple of friends led him to the secret shrine Tuesday to prove it was real, and he shared his amazing findings on Twitter. In a forgotten room behind the paper towel dispenser, tucked into the corner, lies no Chamber of Secrets but instead several pictures depicting the actor of Erin Brockovich and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia fame.
Several other students had already left a hodgepodge of offerings to DeVito: a couple of beer bottles, some candy wrappers, a whoopee cushion, and a pocket Bible.
Evan estimated the whole space to be only 8- by 20-feet; he and his friends had to walk sideways to get in. Some students think it’s been there for at least a year, though how it escaped the notice of janitors for so long is anybody’s guess (unless they’re simply too devoted to disturb such a spirited alter).
Barely six hours later, Evan’s post had accumulated over 100,000 likes and several hundred comments of shared wonderment.
Good God, it must stay forever— PunkRockRoboid (@PRRartnstuff) November 13, 2018
Nobody must let this great thing cease to exist
Take the left path when you reach the fork in the road and it'll take you to Narnia, lol— Vanessa ♡ (@VLove1992) November 13, 2018
This is like an SCP entry— Saph (please watch spiderverse) (@Sapharodon) November 13, 2018
Evan’s post also encouraged at least one other student at the school to investigate the shrine themselves.
Gottem pic.twitter.com/UBg3qmrur3— skeletonboyfriend (@skeletonbf) November 14, 2018
Apparently, the DeVito tapestry featured in the alter is a popular Amazon item, as several commenters shared images of their copies.
Our Devito, found in the history class pic.twitter.com/NdHesjLCs3— Quee(r/n) (@kmsmydudes) November 13, 2018
To some DeVito fans, it could rank among the best things to find in a bathroom. To everybody else, it’s among the most terrifying. And at least one Twitter user regretted the shrine’s outing for entirely different reasons.
Actually now that I think about it, way to narc a perfectly good place to smoke weed at school— Chris Conroy (@dyfl) November 13, 2018
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.