There’s nothing quite like watching a gangly, precious animal pursue a piece of food over the course of a few minutes. It doesn’t matter if this is a hamster waiting for its owner to cook it a tiny burger; a raccoon, nature’s trash panda, rifling through the dumpster for a snack; or even a city rat just trying to enjoy its dollar pizza slice.
However, despite my own personal enjoyment of watching Potpie, a “clumsy puppy,” attempting to steal a head of lettuce in a YouTube video currently trending on the platform, I had several, if not infinite, questions.
In the clip, we watch Potpie—a popular Lemon Beagle shown on the YouTube channel of Maymo, also a Lemon Beagle—try to demolish a head of lettuce, only to fail with each solo attempt, either slipping or straight up falling off the surface the sleek lettuce rests upon. It’s not until Maymo joins in that Potpie is finally able to tear that head to shreds.
Admittedly, Potpie is a perfect representation of all of us attempting to care for ourselves and move along during a trying 2017—unable to make any progress, constantly slipping into old habits, not learning from our mistakes. Thank god Maymo was there to save the day.
And yes, I was enamored by the video’s cuteness, but I couldn’t help but wonder:
- Why does this puppy want the lettuce so badly?
- Does this dog actually like lettuce?
- Are dogs even allowed to eat lettuce? (According to the internet, they can.)
- What sad person uses multiple cameras to record their flailing puppy?
- Why did this YouTube creator let their animals demolish a whole head of lettuce inside?
- Was the cleanup that bad?
- Did Maymo actually put that lettuce leaf on Potpie’s head like a little hat?
- Is it bad that I enjoy seeing this puppy slip?
- Can this video be any funnier at twice the speed? (I checked, and it is.)
Much like 2017, this video has left me with more questions than I will ever have answers.