- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
- #RIPReese: Man bullied for relationship with trans woman dies by suicide Wednesday 4:46 PM
- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million Wednesday 4:25 PM
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires Wednesday 4:24 PM
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now Wednesday 3:56 PM
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels Wednesday 3:44 PM
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Wednesday 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Wednesday 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Wednesday 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Wednesday 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Wednesday 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Wednesday 1:13 PM
There’s nothing quite like watching a gangly, precious animal pursue a piece of food over the course of a few minutes. It doesn’t matter if this is a hamster waiting for its owner to cook it a tiny burger; a raccoon, nature’s trash panda, rifling through the dumpster for a snack; or even a city rat just trying to enjoy its dollar pizza slice.
However, despite my own personal enjoyment of watching Potpie, a “clumsy puppy,” attempting to steal a head of lettuce in a YouTube video currently trending on the platform, I had several, if not infinite, questions.
In the clip, we watch Potpie—a popular Lemon Beagle shown on the YouTube channel of Maymo, also a Lemon Beagle—try to demolish a head of lettuce, only to fail with each solo attempt, either slipping or straight up falling off the surface the sleek lettuce rests upon. It’s not until Maymo joins in that Potpie is finally able to tear that head to shreds.
Admittedly, Potpie is a perfect representation of all of us attempting to care for ourselves and move along during a trying 2017—unable to make any progress, constantly slipping into old habits, not learning from our mistakes. Thank god Maymo was there to save the day.
And yes, I was enamored by the video’s cuteness, but I couldn’t help but wonder:
- Why does this puppy want the lettuce so badly?
- Does this dog actually like lettuce?
- Are dogs even allowed to eat lettuce? (According to the internet, they can.)
- What sad person uses multiple cameras to record their flailing puppy?
- Why did this YouTube creator let their animals demolish a whole head of lettuce inside?
- Was the cleanup that bad?
- Did Maymo actually put that lettuce leaf on Potpie’s head like a little hat?
- Is it bad that I enjoy seeing this puppy slip?
- Can this video be any funnier at twice the speed? (I checked, and it is.)
Much like 2017, this video has left me with more questions than I will ever have answers.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.