- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
It’s a dog-eat-lettuce world.
There’s nothing quite like watching a gangly, precious animal pursue a piece of food over the course of a few minutes. It doesn’t matter if this is a hamster waiting for its owner to cook it a tiny burger; a raccoon, nature’s trash panda, rifling through the dumpster for a snack; or even a city rat just trying to enjoy its dollar pizza slice.
However, despite my own personal enjoyment of watching Potpie, a “clumsy puppy,” attempting to steal a head of lettuce in a YouTube video currently trending on the platform, I had several, if not infinite, questions.
In the clip, we watch Potpie—a popular Lemon Beagle shown on the YouTube channel of Maymo, also a Lemon Beagle—try to demolish a head of lettuce, only to fail with each solo attempt, either slipping or straight up falling off the surface the sleek lettuce rests upon. It’s not until Maymo joins in that Potpie is finally able to tear that head to shreds.
Admittedly, Potpie is a perfect representation of all of us attempting to care for ourselves and move along during a trying 2017—unable to make any progress, constantly slipping into old habits, not learning from our mistakes. Thank god Maymo was there to save the day.
And yes, I was enamored by the video’s cuteness, but I couldn’t help but wonder:
- Why does this puppy want the lettuce so badly?
- Does this dog actually like lettuce?
- Are dogs even allowed to eat lettuce? (According to the internet, they can.)
- What sad person uses multiple cameras to record their flailing puppy?
- Why did this YouTube creator let their animals demolish a whole head of lettuce inside?
- Was the cleanup that bad?
- Did Maymo actually put that lettuce leaf on Potpie’s head like a little hat?
- Is it bad that I enjoy seeing this puppy slip?
- Can this video be any funnier at twice the speed? (I checked, and it is.)
Much like 2017, this video has left me with more questions than I will ever have answers.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.