- YouTuber allegedly filmed himself abusing and killing his cat 8 Months Ago
- Would you buy a Popeyes chicken sandwich from Quavo for $1,000? Today 3:05 PM
- Someone set up a Spider-Man memorial outside D23 Expo Today 2:15 PM
- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back Today 1:24 PM
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ Today 12:35 PM
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Today 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Today 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
“Baby Shark,”—the camp song that was made re-famous in the form of a meme after Pinkfong, a South Korean educational brand, uploaded the song to YouTube in 2016—has made its way to the Billboard Hot 100 chart at No. 32 this week.
Pinkfong isn’t stopping at the Billboard charts—they have even bigger plans for “Baby Shark.” Bin Jeong, the chief executive of Pinkfong USA told the New York Times the company will be creating “Baby Shark” toys, DVDs and other consumer products, including books and diapers.
“We are not planning to settle for Baby Shark hitting the music charts and getting YouTube views, but we are developing Pinkfong and Baby Shark into an entertainment brand that will be enjoyed by generations to come,” she said.
“Baby Shark” was popularized online by YouTubers, who embraced it with a wide variety of Baby Shark” adaptations and takes. Even celebrities like Ellen DeGeneres and James Corden made their own versions of the song.
The meme took on a new life when YouTube nursery rhyme group BillionSurpriseToys went viral for their bizarre take on the song that used the rhythm but changed the words to a nursery rhyme called “Johny Johny Yes Papa.”
The song is sandwiched between the world’s top artists on the chart, such as Ellie Goulding and Khalid. The catchy song has been viewed over 2 billion times on YouTube. If you’re unfamiliar and want it to be stuck in your head for the rest of the day, listen below:
People are both excited and confused as to how the song made it on the chart.
the only news i wanna hear is BABY SHARK ENTERING THE BILLBOARD TOP 100 CONGRATS EVERYBODY LETS GO HUNT DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO https://t.co/yyyZfpow5m— jīn (@Y00NG3NIUS) January 10, 2019
Who tf played baby shark so much, it landed on the billboard hot 100? pic.twitter.com/7jBp14SBXG— Faysal (@HoWeBeenKnew) January 8, 2019
And one person is hoping the song climbs to the number one spot.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.