- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
Earlier this month, Apple disappointed iPhone users by releasing a new peach emoji that didn’t look unmistakably like a butt. The scandalous de-assifying of the peach caused a bit of a backlash, though, and Apple has decided to restore it to its former anatomical glory in a future iOS update.
Emoji sexters and spicy tweeters, your complaints have been heard. The latest beta version of iOS, 10.2 beta 3, dropped Tuesday with a re-revised peach that looks even more butt-like than the original.
Apple sometimes makes a move toward the future, knowing that its current customers will be temporarily outraged. Removing disc drives and nixing the headphone jack are calculated risks that people will soon get over.
With the peach, though, the company seems to have tacitly acknowledged a mistake. Perhaps Apple thought the peach was just a fruit, then discovered that no one uses it that way. To remove the peach-as-butt is to eliminate 90 percent of the meaning of that emoji. It’s nice to see Apple had the good sense to fix it.
Now, about that squirt pistol…
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.