- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old 3 Years Ago
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting 3 Years Ago
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Today 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Today 12:55 PM
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men Today 12:33 PM
- Every house in ‘Skyrim’ and how to get them all Today 12:28 PM
- How to stream all the Week 3 NFL action Today 12:14 PM
- Taylor Swift has some thoughts on the end of ‘Game of Thrones’ Today 12:14 PM
- Notre Dame, Georgia, and how to stream college football’s must-watch Week 4 Today 11:52 AM
- Prominent Democratic donor Ed Buck charged with running drug house tied to fatal overdoses Today 11:45 AM
- Merriam-Webster recognizes use of singular ‘they’ for nonbinary people Today 11:39 AM
- VSCO dogs are here, and they’re just barely putting up with it Today 11:38 AM
- Everything you need to know about Juul batteries Today 11:26 AM
- Trump is trying to use Beto as a scapegoat for inaction on gun control Today 11:18 AM
- Instagram influencer says her account was banned over ‘sexual’ pregnancy photo Today 10:23 AM
Earlier this month, Apple disappointed iPhone users by releasing a new peach emoji that didn’t look unmistakably like a butt. The scandalous de-assifying of the peach caused a bit of a backlash, though, and Apple has decided to restore it to its former anatomical glory in a future iOS update.
Emoji sexters and spicy tweeters, your complaints have been heard. The latest beta version of iOS, 10.2 beta 3, dropped Tuesday with a re-revised peach that looks even more butt-like than the original.
Apple sometimes makes a move toward the future, knowing that its current customers will be temporarily outraged. Removing disc drives and nixing the headphone jack are calculated risks that people will soon get over.
With the peach, though, the company seems to have tacitly acknowledged a mistake. Perhaps Apple thought the peach was just a fruit, then discovered that no one uses it that way. To remove the peach-as-butt is to eliminate 90 percent of the meaning of that emoji. It’s nice to see Apple had the good sense to fix it.
Now, about that squirt pistol…
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.