- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
Star Trek: Picard only includes a handful of characters from The Next Generation, but that’s just season 1. There’s plenty of room for others to return in the already-confirmed season 2, and it looks like Whoopi Goldberg’s character Guinan might be one of them.
Patrick Stewart asked Goldberg to join the show during an interview on The View, describing it as a “formal invitation” from Picard‘s producer Alex Kurtzman. And sure, this is a publicity stunt to promote the show’s debut, but it also feels… pretty real? Picard‘s cast and creators have already talked about bringing back other members of the TNG crew, and Goldberg sounded genuinely excited to reprise her role.
.@SirPatStew officially invites @WhoopiGoldberg to join season two of #StarTrekPicard: “It was wonderful having you, and we cannot wait to have you with us again one more time.” https://t.co/f8u2wbJuik #StarTrek pic.twitter.com/mxOtyJxF63— The View (@TheView) January 22, 2020
While it does feel like Whoopi Goldberg spent more time as a TV personality over the past few years, she’s actually been acting steadily in a variety of TV and movie roles. Her current hairstyle is connected to a part she’s playing in an adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand, which will air on Star Trek: Picard‘s home network CBS All Access. So she’s probably already had conversations behind the scenes about playing Guinan again.
Guinan was one of Picard’s closest friends on the Enterprise, a 600-year-old humanoid alien who made her debut in season 2, acting as the ship’s bartender and a kind of mentor figure to the crew. Goldberg is a longtime Star Trek fan, and actually contacted The Next Generation’s creators herself to see if a role was available. Since Goldberg was already a big star at the time, TNG wound up filming episodes around her schedule, to make sure Guinan could be a recurring member of the crew.
Star Trek: Picard | Our Spoiler-Free Review:
Watch Picard for free with a 1-week trial of CBS All Access.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor