- Noom is a weight loss app that prioritizes your mental health 4 Years Ago
- Shane Dawson once joked about ejaculating on his cat—and people are furious 4 Years Ago
- Rep. Steve King posts Civil War fantasy meme—accidentally mocks own state 4 Years Ago
- Gaming company Valve removed tributes to Christchurch shooter 4 Years Ago
- The best new bands at SXSW 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- You can watch DC Universe’s acclaimed original shows for free Today 6:28 AM
- Ximena Sariñana talks capturing feminine energy on her latest album Today 6:00 AM
- The power of parasocial relationships in the age of loneliness Today 6:00 AM
- How to get started with WhatsApp on desktop Today 5:30 AM
- Netflix will remove controversial disaster footage from ‘Bird Box’ Sunday 4:04 PM
- J.K. Rowling’s latest ‘Fantastic Beasts’ reveal is bringing the memes Sunday 3:01 PM
- President Trump calls for government agencies to ‘look into’ ‘Saturday Night Live’ Sunday 12:18 PM
- How to stream Michael Conlan vs. Ruben Garcia Hernandez for free Sunday 11:00 AM
- ‘Pet Sematary’ is a bloodless remake of a Stephen King classic Sunday 10:50 AM
- Here’s the Marvel movie order list you didn’t know you needed Sunday 9:59 AM
Sorry, Xbox owners.
Gamers on the Xbox One just took their first punch to the face in this generation’s console war. Or should we say the first shoryuken?
Gaming forum NeoGAF broke the news that Street Fighter V is going to be exclusively released on PC and PlayStation 4. To give you a sense of scale for this news, Street Fighter is arguably one of the most important underpinnings of the professional fighting game world. It popularized fighting games in Japanese arcades, and turned them into de facto amateur leagues for professional competitions, perhaps more than any other franchise.
And now Street Fighter devotees who went with the Xbox One for this console generation have been left out in the cold, either temporarily or permanently.
Consensus is that this trailer is an early leak from the PlayStation Experience taking place in Las Vegas this weekend. Capcom has been trying to pull off the Web videos of the trailer that confirms the news, but at this point it’s probably too late to contain.
Exclusive titles are the main weapon employed by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo in the battle to dominate gamers’ living rooms. A Street Fighter V console exclusive on the PS4, even if it is only a limited-time exclusive (meaning it will eventually be available on the Xbox One and/or Wii U), is a very strong offense in the eighth generation console war.
It will be interesting to see how quickly Capcom confirms whether this is a timed exclusive or not. Square Enix had to admit within days of making the announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider, was only a timed Xbox One exclusive. And Street Fighter has a much more rabid fandom than Lara Croft has ever had.
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.