- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever 4 Years Ago
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu 4 Years Ago
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
Sorry, Xbox owners.
Gamers on the Xbox One just took their first punch to the face in this generation’s console war. Or should we say the first shoryuken?
Gaming forum NeoGAF broke the news that Street Fighter V is going to be exclusively released on PC and PlayStation 4. To give you a sense of scale for this news, Street Fighter is arguably one of the most important underpinnings of the professional fighting game world. It popularized fighting games in Japanese arcades, and turned them into de facto amateur leagues for professional competitions, perhaps more than any other franchise.
And now Street Fighter devotees who went with the Xbox One for this console generation have been left out in the cold, either temporarily or permanently.
Consensus is that this trailer is an early leak from the PlayStation Experience taking place in Las Vegas this weekend. Capcom has been trying to pull off the Web videos of the trailer that confirms the news, but at this point it’s probably too late to contain.
Exclusive titles are the main weapon employed by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo in the battle to dominate gamers’ living rooms. A Street Fighter V console exclusive on the PS4, even if it is only a limited-time exclusive (meaning it will eventually be available on the Xbox One and/or Wii U), is a very strong offense in the eighth generation console war.
It will be interesting to see how quickly Capcom confirms whether this is a timed exclusive or not. Square Enix had to admit within days of making the announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider, was only a timed Xbox One exclusive. And Street Fighter has a much more rabid fandom than Lara Croft has ever had.
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.