- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
If you’re overwhelmed with nostalgia for the golden days of the Stargate franchise, we have good news. MGM just released its first behind-the-scenes teaser for the prequel series Stargate: Origins, starring Australian actress Ellie Gall as the archaeologist Catherine Langford.
Announced at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, Stargate: Origins is an online exclusive—although Star Trek: Discovery, it ain’t. Its episodes will only be 10 minutes long, making it more like a webseries than a traditional TV show.
Still, it promises to be an interesting look at Stargate‘s untold backstory in the 1930s. As we know from the movie and Stargate: SG1, Catherine Langford’s father discovered the Stargate in 1928, and she went on to found the Stargate program. The teaser suggests a hint of Indiana Jones, with Langford visiting a tent city that looks like the Egypt-inspired planet Abydos.
Stargate: Origins co-stars Star Trek: Enterprise’s Connor Trinneer as Langford’s father, with other roles to be announced as production continues. The show is directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan (who appears in the teaser), and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry.
The release date hasn’t been confirmed yet, but the show will air exclusively on the Stargate streaming service Stargate Command. (Yes, Stargate has its own streaming service. Welcome to 2017.)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor