- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
Warning: This article contains minor spoilers for Daredevil’s second season.
Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Netflix has ordered a Punisher spinoff series starring Jon Bernthal, who would be reprising his role from Daredevil with writer and executive producer Steve Lightfoot as showrunner. Lightfoot will pen the first two episodes.
In a post announcing the news from Marvel, Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television, credited Bernthal’s performance for hooking the audience. The spinoff has been floated around even before the Punisher entered Hell’s Kitchen in Daredevil.
“For me, the complexity and unpredictability of Frank Castle make him an incredibly compelling character and I couldn’t be more excited to dive into his world,” Lightfoot said. “After watching Jon’s performance in Marvel’s Daredevil I could not be more excited to be working with him to further develop and progress the story of this anti-hero in a show of his own.”
The last time we saw Frank Castle he appeared to be leaving Hell’s Kitchen after escaping from prison and briefly teaming up with Daredevil, although something might just bring him back into the fold.
The Punisher spinoff is now the sixth TV show within Netflix’s section of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Daredevil has already aired two seasons, Jessica Jones has been renewed for a second season, and Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and a Defenders miniseries are all on the way. There’s no information on The Punisher aside from show annoucement or cast aside from Bernthal, so we’ll have to wait to see whether he’ll be joining the Defenders as well as getting his own show.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.