- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love 10 Months Ago
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Today 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
The mega-popular game has faded somewhat from the frantic fervor that surrounded it a year ago. Pokimane, whose real name is Imane Anys, gained popularity through her Fortnite streams. In mid-March, however, she took a hiatus.
Pokimane treated the vlog like a casual conversation between friends. After explaining that she tends to push herself so hard that she doesn’t take time to reflect, she noted that fans had been asking about her lack of current Fortnite streams.
Partway through March, Pokimane’s parents popped by for a visit. Since the 22-year-old streamer already needed a “mental reset,” she used her parents’ visit as an excuse. During this time, Pokimane said she needed to “think about what I like or dislike about the content that I’ve been making, about the direction I’ve been headed.”
She explained that previously, she’s always played whichever games she was enjoying most at the time. “I do still enjoy Fortnite sometimes, but I don’t really have a feeling of wanting to play it all the time.” The streamer also noted that it can be hard for her not to compare herself to others, or to always strive to be the absolute best.
“I really value like my happiness, my sanity, my peace of mind way more than any bonus income,” she said.
We might be seeing less Fortnite on Pokimane’s Twitch page, but that doesn’t mean she’s slowed down much. In late March, she celebrated her five-year anniversary as a partner on Twitch with a 12-hour stream.
Pokimane’s hiatus also coincided with the release of her collaboration with Winky Lux makeup. The collab gave us Poki-themed lip balm, which was released on March 16.
can’t believe this is real life.. but I’m happy to finally announce my makeup collaboration 😭💜— pokimane (@pokimanelol) March 16, 2019
The Poki Palette & lip balm have been OVER A YEAR in the making, so I hope y’all love & enjoy them ☺️ aaaaah
check ‘em out at https://t.co/HiQhhBxjDy 💝 pic.twitter.com/d9Nf0hLNQj
True to her word, Pokimane has been changing it up for weeks now. She’s spent some time playing Apex Legends and got swept up in the GTA V roleplay craze taking over Twitch. When the mood hits her, she even plays some Fortnite—just don’t expect much more of it from her.
- Twitch streamer sweetsaltypeach banned after baking in shorts
- Stranger verbally harasses Twitch’s AyyTrae during livestream
- Twitch star Forsen has a plan to escape Article 13
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.