- The giant battle episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ is nearly here Sunday 10:12 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ finally revealed the Night King’s endgame Sunday 9:53 PM
- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
Starbucks might have just accidentally leaked a major Pokémon Go update
Could this be the update fans have been waiting for?
This theory has been primarily based on placeholders found in the game’s code by dataminers. But leaks from Starbucks—yes, Starbucks—employees suggest a game update is coming this week.
The leaked Starbucks training documents explain that Starbucks and Pokémon Go developer Niantic are partnering to make almost every company-operated Starbucks location in the U.S. a PokéStop or gym. (The locations being skipped don’t meet Niantic’s specs for becoming a stop.)
The documents say the Starbucks PokéStops and a new berry-flavored Pokémon frappuccino are debuting in conjunction with an update to Pokémon Go. The documents don’t specify what will be included in the update, so it’s possible the game update Thursday won’t be the Pokémon expansion fans have been waiting for.
But with the large-scale promotional push backing up previously discovered clues in the game’s data, many fans have their fingers crossed that Thursday will be the day Niantic expands its Pokémon roster.
Update 9:21 am CT, Dec. 8: Niantic has confirmed in a blog post that Starbucks is now a partner, and that 7,800 company-owned Starbucks stores will now host PokéStop or gyms. The developer also confirmed that news on the addition of new Pokémon would be released on Dec. 12.
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.