- What does ‘uwu’ mean? 2 Years Ago
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) 2 Years Ago
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
Here’s why John Boyega wanted to join the cast.
They showed the highly anticipated trailer to thousands of fans, and DeKnight detailed the many types of Jaegers we’ll see in the sequel, which will take place 10 years after the first movie.
- Gipsy Avenger: the successor to the Gipsy Danger from the first movie that can hurl cars at Kaijus
- Braver Phoenix: a three-person Jaeger that can operate a “vortex cannon”
- Titan Redeemer: has what DeKnight described as the “ball of death” on its arm
- Guardian Bravo: wields an arc whip
- Saber Athena: the sleekest, most advanced model with plasma swords
- Scrappers: made from scraps stolen by people who want their own Jaegers
Although he wasn’t at the panel on Friday, Guillermo del Toro, the director of the first Pacific Rim movie, and what he accomplished was on everyone’s mind. Star and producer John Boyega explained that he didn’t want to rewrite del Toro’s vision but expand it instead. He was a fan of the first movie largely because of Idris Elba (who played Stacker Pentecost), but he was sold on the idea after he went to a meeting and saw concept art of himself in a Jaeger costume. The movie, he said, was everything fans wanted it to be.
But his character, Jake Pentecost, starts out in a much different place than his dad. When we meet him, he’s living in a half-mansion and scrapping, but that eventually changes through something circumstantial.
“You know the greatest heroes don’t accept their legendary status,” Boyega said.
Newcomer Cailee Spaeny, who plays Amara, said her character relates to Jake even though they’re coming from different places. She explained that Amara’s parents were killed in the first Kaiju attack and decided to become a Jaeger to stop the next attack, which she doesn’t doubt will happen.
On the other hand, Burn Gorman’s Hermann Gottlieb hasn’t changed, although he has more money to work with this time around. Yet he’s still very much affected by what happened in the first movie.
While the idea of a franchise is still early, Boyega noted how hopeful fans had been as talk of a sequel remained uncertain.
Said Boyega: “This is sacred science fiction ground.”
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.