- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? 3 Years Ago
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Today 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Today 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Today 12:21 PM
- ‘Joker’ ad compares Todd Phillips to Gandhi Today 12:10 PM
- Mom learned about her special needs son’s abuse by seeing TikTok video Today 11:21 AM
- Influencer gets revenge on her male trolls with Instagram account Today 10:32 AM
- Conservatives are frothing over a Ukraine joke told on CNN Today 10:26 AM
- Dua Lipa isn’t canceled—but her fans are defending her in #DuaLipaIsOverParty like she is Today 9:21 AM
- These YouTube videos claim to show the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash (they don’t) Today 9:08 AM
- More than 40 colleges say they won’t use facial recognition on campus Today 8:32 AM
- LeBron’s Instagram tribute to Kobe is devastating Today 7:56 AM
- ‘Rise of Empires: Ottoman’ is ‘Game of Thrones’ for history buffs Today 7:00 AM
- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
Placing bets on Doctor Who casting has become a tradition in the U.K., with William Hill arguably predicting Capaldi’s casting by giving him 11/8 odds two days before he was announced in 2013. Capaldi confirmed his departure this week, and while we don’t know when the next actor will be revealed, bookies are already calculating the odds on some popular choices.
Broadchurch star Olivia Colman is currently on top with 8/1 odds, followed by British TV actors James Norton (Happy Valley), Reece Shearsmith (The League of Gentlemen), and Richard Ayoade (The I.T. Crowd) at 10/1. Ben Whishaw is at 12/1, with some less realistic possibilities—Rupert Grint, Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton—at much longer odds. Hayley Atwell, for all the Agent Carter fans out there, is placed at 20/1.
Many fans are hoping the BBC will finally cast a woman or a person of color in the role, with Richard Ayoade, Riz Ahmed, and Hayley Atwell among the fan-favorite options.
Colman, who has David Tennant‘s endorsement as a “magnificent choice” to play the Doctor, represents a plausible combination of innovation and tradition: She’s an established, critically acclaimed British actor, and has appeared in Doctor Who before. She is also best known for starring in Broadchurch, which was created by future Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor