- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate 2 Years Ago
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
After 4.3 million online votes from 146 countries, the classic board game Monopoly is ready to debut three new game tokens.
Hasbro gave tabletop fans the chance to vote on 50 new options as well as the standard game piece lineup of the cat, dog, race car, thimble, wheelbarrow, boot, ship, and top hat. New options included a quirky variety of tokens, from sliced bread to a bunny slipper.
In the end, voters decided the T. Rex, rubber ducky, and the penguin would replace the thimble, the wheelbarrow, and the boot. We have a feeling a few people will miss the old playing pieces, but lest nostalgia get the best of you, remember that this isn’t the first time Monopoly has changed the lineup. Scottie the dog and the wheelbarrow joined the standard playing pieces in the 1950s, after Monopoly’s launch in 1935. And in 2013, Monopoly sent the iron packing in favor of Hazel the cat.
Scottie the dog still reigns as the favorite, taking the top spot when the contest votes were tallied. According the Associated Press, Scottie earned 212,476 votes, with the newbie T. Rex coming in second with 207,953, and the top hat coming in third with 167,582. The battleship was the last token to squeak into the lineup, beating the tortoise by just 5,700 votes. And the least popular piece? That would be the rain boot, which got just 7,239 votes.
You can expect Monopoly games featuring the new lineup of tokens to hit stores this fall.
H/T Associated Press
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.