- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
After 4.3 million online votes from 146 countries, the classic board game Monopoly is ready to debut three new game tokens.
Hasbro gave tabletop fans the chance to vote on 50 new options as well as the standard game piece lineup of the cat, dog, race car, thimble, wheelbarrow, boot, ship, and top hat. New options included a quirky variety of tokens, from sliced bread to a bunny slipper.
In the end, voters decided the T. Rex, rubber ducky, and the penguin would replace the thimble, the wheelbarrow, and the boot. We have a feeling a few people will miss the old playing pieces, but lest nostalgia get the best of you, remember that this isn’t the first time Monopoly has changed the lineup. Scottie the dog and the wheelbarrow joined the standard playing pieces in the 1950s, after Monopoly’s launch in 1935. And in 2013, Monopoly sent the iron packing in favor of Hazel the cat.
Scottie the dog still reigns as the favorite, taking the top spot when the contest votes were tallied. According the Associated Press, Scottie earned 212,476 votes, with the newbie T. Rex coming in second with 207,953, and the top hat coming in third with 167,582. The battleship was the last token to squeak into the lineup, beating the tortoise by just 5,700 votes. And the least popular piece? That would be the rain boot, which got just 7,239 votes.
You can expect Monopoly games featuring the new lineup of tokens to hit stores this fall.
H/T Associated Press
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.