- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
Get out your tissues: The new ‘Fault in Our Stars’ trailer is here
As we get closer to The Fault in Our Stars’ June 6 release date, we’re going to need a bigger box of Kleenex.
You’re gonna need a bigger box of Kleenex.
The new, expanded trailer for The Fault in Our Stars, the highly-anticipated movie based on the beloved John Green novel, is out, and it’s just as tear-jerky as you were hoping/fearing.
TFIOS is itself based on the moving life of Harry Potter fan and Nerdfighter Esther Earl, who became friends with Green through his connection to the Harry Potter convention Leaky Con. Before Esther died of cancer in 2010 at the age of 16, she inspired an entire fandom holiday in her honor. She also inspired Green to create his character Hazel, the main character of The Fault in Our Stars.
The movie’s first, shorter trailer spawned an instant Tumblr meme when it landed earlier this month. The second trailer debuted in theaters over the weekend with The Other Woman, but now that it’s arrived to the Internet, it seems to be earning fewer jokes and a lot more sniffling. And no wonder, with lines like, “I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and I am in love with you.”
Wow. At the rate the trailers are making us cry, cinemas are going to need to dispense special tissue tubs to help viewers get through TFIOS without flooding the theater.
Screengrab via YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.