- Report: Disney yanks YouTube ad spending following child exploitation accusations Wednesday 7:56 PM
- These people are organizing Fyre Fest live-action role-play parties Wednesday 6:35 PM
- White woman berates Mexican restaurant manager for speaking Spanish Wednesday 4:12 PM
- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends Wednesday 3:48 PM
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims Wednesday 3:28 PM
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 Wednesday 3:20 PM
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Wednesday 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Wednesday 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Wednesday 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Wednesday 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Wednesday 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Wednesday 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Wednesday 10:43 AM
- Political campaigns will be snooping on your phones in 2020 Wednesday 10:43 AM
Watch Kelly Marie Tran ace her ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ audition
The audition process for most films—but a Star Wars film especially—is often a long and arduous process, one that for most actors ends in disappointment. But a glimpse at the audition tape of one of the new Last Jedi cast members demonstrates that the right actor can leap right off the screen.
A behind-the-scenes clip released Tuesday takes us into one of the final rounds of auditions for Rose, the Resistance mechanic who teams up with Finn for a secret mission and becomes a hero in her own right. The audition involves a chemistry read with John Boyega (Finn), who Rose would be interacting with the most during the film. And though director Rian Johnson had already seen hundreds read for the character, the effect that Kelly Marie Tran had on Johnson when she read with Boyega was almost instantaneous.
“She is like Rose stepped up for me,” Johnson said. “The character that I had in my head when I was writing, it was like she showed up to read.”
Rose has an important part to play in The Last Jedi, one we haven’t often seen in a Star Wars movie. But it doesn’t work anywhere near as well with the hope and optimism that Tran brings out in her.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.