- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
Peter Quill’s “Awesome Mix” played an important part in Guardians of the Galaxy and gave fans a fantastic mix of classic rock and pop staples. Ahead of the release of Vol. 2 we’re getting a brand new mix to play out.
As part of Empire Magazine’s cover story, director James Gunn and the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 cast curated a playlist for readers and fans. While Gunn confirmed that it’s not actually the official tracklist, some of them might give us some insight into Vol. 2. New trailers have featured “Fox on the Run,” “Suffragette City,” “The Chain,” and “Come a Little Bit Closer” but they’re not guaranteed to show up in the movie, either.
The mixtape features a wide mix of genres and sounds, and we get a good idea of what music the cast is into as well as what songs might fit their characters. Kurt Russell, for instance, thinks that ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man” could work as Ego’s theme and Elizabeth Debicki (Ayesha) chose David Bowie’s “The Prettiest Star” because “the lyrics suit our film so perfectly.” And Gunn revealed that he wanted to use Hall & Oates’ “She’s Gone” in Vol. 2 but he “didn’t have a place for it.”
You can listen to the curated playlist below on Spotify.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 arrives in theaters May 3.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.