- How to stream Real Madrid vs. RCD Mallorca 4 Years Ago
- Trump accused of ‘using the language of ethnic cleansing’ regarding Kurds 4 Years Ago
- Hillary Clinton also thinks Tulsi Gabbard is a Russian bot Today 1:13 PM
- TikTok girls dancing to voicemails from sh*tty exes is a vibe Today 12:34 PM
- Netflix reports strong growth—but it faces 3 major hurdles in Q4 Today 12:33 PM
- Telegram is hosting videos of extrajudicial killings in Syria Today 12:32 PM
- ‘El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie’ tops 8 million viewers in first week Today 11:31 AM
- ‘Uncut Gems’ brings a high-stakes gambling risk to life Today 11:29 AM
- Mark Zuckerberg gives a revisionist history about why he started Facebook in big speech Today 10:52 AM
- Would Hitler be allowed to tweet? Today 10:21 AM
- Twitch star Amouranth caught driving while streaming Today 9:26 AM
- John Mulaney rails on e-scooters after ‘baby boomer’ nearly hits his dog Today 9:07 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Newcastle Today 9:00 AM
- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Valencia Today 9:00 AM
- ‘Bully. Coward. Victim.’ dives deep into the life of an ‘evil’ man Today 8:42 AM
The arrest of seven high-ranking FIFA officials continues to shine light on the organization’s long history of alleged corruption, but news from the FIFA video-game front seems to be more promising. EA Sports, which produces the FIFA games every year, announced Thursday that FIFA 16 will include female soccer players for the first time.
FIFA 16 will feature 12 Women’s National Teams, including the USA, England, Sweden, France, Brazil, Canada, Italy, and China. The developers even scanned and digitized some of the best female soccer players in the world, replicating their likenesses in stunning detail down to their tattoos.
FIFA 16 won’t be released until September, but with the Women’s World Cup starting soon, interest in soccer is likely to rise again among American audiences who normally don’t pay attention to it.
The women involved in the game are thrilled about the new development, to say the least. Although the FIFA games have been coming out since the ’90s, this is be the first time women have been included.
“It’s such an honor for women’s players and our team to be included in FIFA 16,” Team USA’s Alex Morgan told EA Sports. “I always wondered what it would be like to see our team in the game and it is very cool to know that it is now a reality.”
For some, the change couldn’t have come soon enough.
Yes! So happy that there are finally gonna be women in FIFA 16! Good job to EA 🙂
— Jennifer Hackman (@Jennifer_JB1D) May 28, 2015
Of course, every time women advance in some aspect of life, men are there to complain about it.
The only time a Women’s football team will be chosen in FIFA is when you’re trying to embarrass your mate
— Made (@MadeManJama) May 28, 2015
Women being on FIFA 16 is a clear example of equality gone wrong.. The standard isn’t as good as the conference so why one and not the other
— Sam Martin (@SmuelMartin) May 28, 2015
The women’s teams will only be available to play against other women’s teams, and their addition is only one aspect of the game. As critics of the sexist comments point out, you probably don’t even have to play as the female characters, so why complain?
so delighted by men getting whiny + irate over FIFA 16 lol it’s like men getting whiny + irate over Mad Max being feminist all over again
— Fatti Smith. (@ArchedEyebrowBR) May 28, 2015
I don’t need feismm don’t be hard on men complaining about women in FIFA 16. They are just scared because they’ve never scored with a woman.
— WomanAgainstFeminism (@NoToFeminism) May 28, 2015
And as one Twitter user reminded us all, there’s an actual FIFA scandal on our hands. Maybe we should pay more attention to that.
Screengrab via EA SPORTS FIFA/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.