- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event 1 Year Ago
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ 1 Year Ago
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy 1 Year Ago
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk 1 Year Ago
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Today 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Today 1:12 PM
- Man wears bandage that blends in with his skin tone, and Twitter has all the feelings Today 12:55 PM
- The 8 best Korean sunscreens to add to your bag Today 12:15 PM
- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ commercials drop a few big spoilers Today 11:58 AM
- 11 party games for people sick of playing Cards Against Humanity Today 11:45 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy makes the most Curvy Wife Guy pregnancy announcement Today 11:31 AM
- ‘A Fortunate Man’ is a gorgeous, shallow adaptation of a classic novel Today 11:30 AM
- Obama’s ‘Easter worshippers’ tweet upsets conservatives Today 11:04 AM
- Trump responds to impeachment calls: ‘You can’t’ Today 10:43 AM
- Desperate YouTuber goes on ‘holy pilgrimage’ to meet PewDiePie Today 10:33 AM
People are freaking out over Pikachu’s new voice.
The English-language trailer for Detective Pikachu is here, and it’s opening people’s eyes—and ears—to who Detective Pikachu actually is. Namely, an adorable pokemon with the unsettlingly deep voice of an adult man.
This weird combination will soon receive a film adaptation starring Ryan Reynolds (yes, Deadpool) as the title character. But for now, we just have the Nintendo 3DS game, released in 2016 in Japan and coming to North America on March 23. If you haven’t heard the voice before, this trailer is a uniquely bizarre experience. It’s a childlike CGI animation with Pikachu as a jovial Sherlock Holmes, and it’s making people feel very uncomfortable.
While Nintendo didn’t manage to hire Danny DeVito to play Pikachu, his voice is still causing a wave of freakouts.
i have so many conflicting emotions about detective pikachu… he's so cute with his little waddle and detective hat but then he opens his mouth and hes a 30 year old man and i feel my soul disassociate from this plane of existence at the voice-appearance dissonance
— min (@ministired) February 23, 2018
DETECTIVE PIKACHU INSTILLS SO MUCH FEAR INTO MY HEART
— yu narukameme (@pastel_doge) February 23, 2018
Maybe this game will become a cult hit in the U.S., but it’s still a mystery why Hollywood decided this was the best idea for a live-action Pokémon movie. Rather than making a charming children’s fantasy adventure, we’re getting what sounds like the 2010s version of the live-action Super Mario movie… starring Ryan Reynolds as a lovable cartoon rodent. Isn’t art wonderful?
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.