- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 4 Years Ago
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Today 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Today 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Today 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Today 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Today 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Today 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
The return of Star Wars means the return of Star Wars merchandising, with Disney spending the next few months releasing untold quantities of branded products. Apparently, this includes Darth Vader Ugg boots.
Darth Vader accessories aren’t a completely ridiculous idea. Black is always in style, and there’s definitely a market for chic, evil-looking capes and shiny leather outwear. But Uggs? Really? Nothing says “I like to keep my toes warm on the way to the mall” like the Dark Lord of the Sith.
As you can tell, they are basically just… black sheepskin Ugg boots. The Star Wars connection is pretty tenuous, although you can kind of see the Darth Vader aesthetic in the vertical stitching and red button on the side.
The Darth Vader Ugg collection also includes child-size booties and Ascot slippers, and each pair comes with a Star Wars quote sewn into the lining. They all look very comfortable, but we can’t help but feel baffled by the entire concept of Darth Vader Uggs. They feel like the spiritual successor to last year’s X-Men: Days of Future Past/Hardees tie-in, which involved several X-Men actors filming bizarre burger commercials in character.
With seven months to go until The Force Awakens comes out, we predict plenty more weird Star Wars products. The question is, can they get more random and inappropriate than casual Darth Vader footwear? In a world of non-ironic Hunger Games makeup and sandwich ads, signs point to yes.
Photo via Doug Kline/Wikimedia (CC BY 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor