- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck 4 Years Ago
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark 4 Years Ago
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme 4 Years Ago
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Today 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Today 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Today 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Today 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free Today 8:00 AM
Do we really need these?
The return of Star Wars means the return of Star Wars merchandising, with Disney spending the next few months releasing untold quantities of branded products. Apparently, this includes Darth Vader Ugg boots.
Darth Vader accessories aren’t a completely ridiculous idea. Black is always in style, and there’s definitely a market for chic, evil-looking capes and shiny leather outwear. But Uggs? Really? Nothing says “I like to keep my toes warm on the way to the mall” like the Dark Lord of the Sith.
As you can tell, they are basically just… black sheepskin Ugg boots. The Star Wars connection is pretty tenuous, although you can kind of see the Darth Vader aesthetic in the vertical stitching and red button on the side.
The Darth Vader Ugg collection also includes child-size booties and Ascot slippers, and each pair comes with a Star Wars quote sewn into the lining. They all look very comfortable, but we can’t help but feel baffled by the entire concept of Darth Vader Uggs. They feel like the spiritual successor to last year’s X-Men: Days of Future Past/Hardees tie-in, which involved several X-Men actors filming bizarre burger commercials in character.
With seven months to go until The Force Awakens comes out, we predict plenty more weird Star Wars products. The question is, can they get more random and inappropriate than casual Darth Vader footwear? In a world of non-ironic Hunger Games makeup and sandwich ads, signs point to yes.
Photo via Doug Kline/Wikimedia (CC BY 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor