- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
Benedict Cumberbatch is now an actual otter
We should have seen this coming.
Now, a Chattanooga aquarium has made the connection official, after their Facebook invitation to name seven otters resulted in an overwhelming popular vote for Benedict.
World, meet Benny.
We can definitely see the resemblance.
Gif via berrygilmour
We can’t blame him for that last part. Even better: The name of his new habitat? River Otter Falls.
Gif via martincrieff
“Always first in line at feeding time,” the aquarium’s report notes, “he often vocalizes around food.”
Yep, sounds like Benny to us.
Screengrab via the-fires-of-pompeii
The aquarium, which frequently shows up in rankings of America’s best, freely owns the origins of the otter’s name. An aquarium spokesperson told the Radio Times last week, “Guests may want to take pictures of Benny to see if his handsome face matches the actor’s facial features.” Benny the otter is also described as having “the darkest coat” of all the otters—though no word on whether it comes with a matching blue scarf.
GIF via littlemmpiece
Visitors can see the otter frolicking along with his six companions, Delmar, Maya, Louie, Scout, Hunter, and Digger, at the aquarium’s new Cove Forest sanctuary. Check it out below.
Photo via Facebook
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.