- Report: Disney yanks YouTube ad spending following child exploitation accusations Wednesday 7:56 PM
- These people are organizing Fyre Fest live-action role-play parties Wednesday 6:35 PM
- White woman berates Mexican restaurant manager for speaking Spanish Wednesday 4:12 PM
- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends Wednesday 3:48 PM
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims Wednesday 3:28 PM
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 Wednesday 3:20 PM
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Wednesday 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Wednesday 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Wednesday 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Wednesday 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Wednesday 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Wednesday 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Wednesday 10:43 AM
- Political campaigns will be snooping on your phones in 2020 Wednesday 10:43 AM
Shanghai woman posts Instagram photos leading up to alleged suicide
One of jojotsai’s last Instagram photos show her feet dangling stories above the ground.
“I will haunt you day and night after I’m dead.”
That’s the last message jojostai1012 ever posted for her ex-boyfriend on Instagram. Shortly after that message, the young woman from Shanghai made a pile of some of her possesions and lit them on fire. Then, she opened her window and dangled her feet above a rooftop several stories below, which she photographed and posted to Instagram. What exactly happened next isn’t clear.
“In my life, I haven’t done any [seriously] bad things, so why subject me to this kind of torment?” jojotsai1012 wrote alongside an Instagram photo.
“Life has been so miserable these past few days. I want to forget all of this, to control my mood and not be crying painfully late at night every night, but I can’t do it, there’s nothing I can do. All of this is too unfair to me, I can’t bear it.” (Translation via China Smack)
The only evidence of jojotsai1012’s alleged suicide is a grainy photo of what appears to be of a woman’s body floating upside down in a pool of water. The shape of the roof on which she’s found bears some resemblance to the one seen beneath her dangling feet in the photo above. On Chinese forum Mop, where the photo was first shared, one person came forward and claimed to be jojotsai2012’s neighbor:
“This is real, we live in the same building, she died Saturday morning. No matter what, how much courage must it have taken for a little girl to kill herself? Hope she will find peace in the afterlife.”
A reverse photo search finds no duplicate images. But without the woman’s name or reports in the Shanghai media about a similar event, there’s no way to truly know what happened to jojotsai1012.
Update: Due to the sensitive nature of this story, the Instagram photos originally published have been removed.
Photos via jojosai1012/Instagram | H/T Chinasmack
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.