- ‘The Mandalorian’ comes to a crossroads in Chapter 3 6 Years Ago
- Apple TV’s ‘Servant’ will make you scared of reborn dolls 6 Years Ago
- Lindsey Graham roasted for turning his back on a veteran 6 Years Ago
- Scooter Braun asks Taylor Swift for ‘resolution’ after allegedly getting death threats 6 Years Ago
- ‘Frozen 2’ plays it safe and lacks the magic of the original 6 Years Ago
- Graphic video shows police pinning man face-down in subway station 6 Years Ago
- Mini-documentary shows Trump supporters clashing at Denny’s Today 11:52 AM
- Here’s why ‘Furry and Proud’ is trending on Twitter Today 11:16 AM
- Sacha Baron Cohen calls tech giants the ‘greatest propaganda machine in history’ Today 11:04 AM
- ‘Resistance Reborn’ is a must-read before ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Today 10:14 AM
- Stephen Miller should be fired, more than 100 lawmakers say Today 9:56 AM
- YouTube star Bretman Rock goes off on fans who wanted selfies during his dad’s funeral Today 9:14 AM
- The U.S. Army is reevaluating its use of TikTok after security concerns Today 8:45 AM
- Nurse’s TikTok video accused of being insensitive to patient trauma Today 8:16 AM
- The tweet showing a man talking to a woman in a club is gone but not forgotten Today 8:00 AM
After a horrifying Craigslist murder, the Internet rallies to support a family
Jim Vester thought he was buying an iPad. His assailants shot him, robbed him, and fled.
Jim Vester, a 32-year-old former National Guard Sergeant at Arms, thought he was meeting up with his Craigslist correspondent to buy an iPad as a Christmas gift on Wednesday.
Instead, in a parking lot near an Indianapolis high school, two assailants shot him, robbed him, and fled.
Photo via Facebook
In the wake of the murder, nearly 1,500 people have rallied around an Indiana widow and her son, raising nearly $60,000 in three days to help the family through the holidays.
Now, two brothers, 19-year-old Tryon Kincade and 18-year-old Tyshaune Kincade, have been charged with Vester’s murder. And a YouCaring.com fundraiser to support Vester’s wife, Jamie, and their son, 1-year-old Gavin, has gone viral, with more than 6,000 shares on Facebook and more than $58,000 raised since Thursday night.
Jamie Vester is an Indianapolis-area photographer who recently posed for photos together with her husband and son.
Photo via YouCaring
Their photographer, Sarah Hill, told Indianapolis news station WTHR that the incident had scared her away from using Craigslist permanently:
“I would recommend no one using Craigslist anymore, honestly. You just never know. Jim’s not a dumb man. He didn’t make a stupid choice,” Hill said. “There’s no protection, they can say to meet in a public place or during the day. This happened during the day, in broad daylight.”
“Pay full price. A Craigslist deal is not worth a life. Just pay full price,” echoed family friend Sarah Benson.
WTHR reported rumors that no money was taken from Vester in the robbery, and that he was armed with a handgun at the time of the shooting. The suspects are currently being held without bail.
The fundraiser for Vester’s family will run through Dec. 31.
Photo via Facebook
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.