- Workers claim Google made spy tool to prevent them from organizing Wednesday 8:13 PM
- Hailey Bieber denies shading Selena Gomez with ‘I’ll Kill You’ Instagram post Wednesday 7:46 PM
- Trump signed an ego tweet sheet for Tomi Lahren–and it features conspiracy theorists Wednesday 6:59 PM
- Attorneys say ICE deleted evidence pertaining to transgender asylum seeker’s death Wednesday 6:24 PM
- Everything you need to know about VSCO filter codes Wednesday 6:17 PM
- Are users prepared to pay for Gmail storage space? Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Facebook pledges $1 billion to fight housing crisis it helped create Wednesday 5:16 PM
- Lizzo officially credits ‘DNA test’ tweet writer on ‘Truth Hurts’ Wednesday 4:50 PM
- Pornhub takes down videos secretly filmed in a college women’s locker room Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google Maps on iPhone now shows you speed traps Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Here’s why you’re seeing ‘rise and shine’ all over social media Wednesday 3:45 PM
- AOC grills Zuckerberg over false political ads on Facebook Wednesday 3:27 PM
- Fox News promotes pro-faith, anti-antifa film ‘The Reliant’ Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Cardi B to star in ‘Fast & Furious 9’ Wednesday 3:12 PM
- AOC on opening her DMs: ‘By this morning, it was trash’ Wednesday 2:26 PM
4chan users hijack Mountain Dew contest
Pepsi’s attempt to crowdsource a name for a new Mountain Dew flavor backfired after 4channers launched “Operation Gushing Granny.”
All PepsiCo wanted was to get the Internet community to come up with a clever new name for a Mountain Dew flavor.
Instead what they got were names like “Gushing Granny,” “Fapple,” and “Hitler did nothing wrong,” thanks to some 4chan pranksters.
Sometime late Sunday night the 4chan imageboard community hijacked a Mountain Dew contest where people could submit names for a new drink for a chance to win a digital camera. In what was called “Operation: Gushing Granny,” 4chan users allegedly flooded Mountain Dew’s “Dub the Dew” contest with suggestive titles and eventually crashed the contest site.
“Too much fun, you’d think companies would just expect this shit by now,” festerchuck commented on Reddit.
“Just wait. Sooner or later, one company will just say ‘Fuck it, print it.’ And people will freak,” bob105 added. “Then, I bet their sales will spike.”
4chan pulled off a similar prank in 2009 when it successfully helped its creator, Christopher “moot” Poole, top Time’s prestigious World’s Most Influential Person list.
Photo via DubtheDew.com
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.