- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back 7 Years Ago
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ Today 12:35 PM
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Today 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Today 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
4chan users hijack Mountain Dew contest
Pepsi’s attempt to crowdsource a name for a new Mountain Dew flavor backfired after 4channers launched “Operation Gushing Granny.”
All PepsiCo wanted was to get the Internet community to come up with a clever new name for a Mountain Dew flavor.
Instead what they got were names like “Gushing Granny,” “Fapple,” and “Hitler did nothing wrong,” thanks to some 4chan pranksters.
Sometime late Sunday night the 4chan imageboard community hijacked a Mountain Dew contest where people could submit names for a new drink for a chance to win a digital camera. In what was called “Operation: Gushing Granny,” 4chan users allegedly flooded Mountain Dew’s “Dub the Dew” contest with suggestive titles and eventually crashed the contest site.
“Too much fun, you’d think companies would just expect this shit by now,” festerchuck commented on Reddit.
“Just wait. Sooner or later, one company will just say ‘Fuck it, print it.’ And people will freak,” bob105 added. “Then, I bet their sales will spike.”
4chan pulled off a similar prank in 2009 when it successfully helped its creator, Christopher “moot” Poole, top Time’s prestigious World’s Most Influential Person list.
Photo via DubtheDew.com
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.