- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
Pepsi’s attempt to crowdsource a name for a new Mountain Dew flavor backfired after 4channers launched “Operation Gushing Granny.”
All PepsiCo wanted was to get the Internet community to come up with a clever new name for a Mountain Dew flavor.
Instead what they got were names like “Gushing Granny,” “Fapple,” and “Hitler did nothing wrong,” thanks to some 4chan pranksters.
Sometime late Sunday night the 4chan imageboard community hijacked a Mountain Dew contest where people could submit names for a new drink for a chance to win a digital camera. In what was called “Operation: Gushing Granny,” 4chan users allegedly flooded Mountain Dew’s “Dub the Dew” contest with suggestive titles and eventually crashed the contest site.
“Too much fun, you’d think companies would just expect this shit by now,” festerchuck commented on Reddit.
“Just wait. Sooner or later, one company will just say ‘Fuck it, print it.’ And people will freak,” bob105 added. “Then, I bet their sales will spike.”
4chan pulled off a similar prank in 2009 when it successfully helped its creator, Christopher “moot” Poole, top Time’s prestigious World’s Most Influential Person list.
Photo via DubtheDew.com
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.