- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Monday 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Monday 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Monday 2:54 PM
- Netflix ‘Living With Yourself’ trailer offers a double dose of Paul Rudd Monday 2:07 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League Monday 2:04 PM
President Donald Trump gave a wide-ranging special birthday interview on Friday morning’s Fox & Friends. Among the topics of conversation on the table were everything from his Kellyanne Conway problem to his Joe Biden problem—but he also took some time to discuss his proposed Air Force One redesign.
In doing so, he managed to step in it by comparing his wife, first lady Melania Trump, to former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.
“It’s been a long time, and it fits the plane better—you know, it’s a very different plane, and even though it’s a 747 [sic],” Trump told his grinning interviewers. “And I like the concept of red, white, and blue in the classic, and I think it’s going to look much better, actually.”
“You know, the baby blue doesn’t fit with us—people get used to something, and it was Jackie O and that’s good,” he continued. “But we have our own Jackie O today. It’s called Melania. Melania … we’ll call her Melania T! OK?”
Putting aside the fact that he referred to his wife as an “it,” Trump is saying that Jackie Kennedy was the inspiration for the original design of the first Air Force One in 1962. The classic slate blue and contemporary cyan color scheme—which was intended to represent the early republic and future of the presidency, respectively—has since carried through in each iteration of the aircraft into the present.
But whether one views an update of Air Force One as blasphemy, people were definitely not pleased with Trump’s comparison of the timeless style icon to the first lady known for her tree-planting stiletto heels and “I really don’t care, do u” jacket.
Melania is NO Jackie O.— Keisha Lenee (@remizmomma) June 14, 2019
Jackie O would NEVER wear something like this.👇🏾 pic.twitter.com/zNiwfJPWDa
Jackie O had class. No one named trump has ever had class and never will. Sorry DJT. Even being president doesn’t earn you class, which you have amply demonstrated. https://t.co/hEyRLvI89q— Howard Dean (@GovHowardDean) June 14, 2019
Trump says Melanie is the new Jackie O. I have to agree! I’m so glad we finally have a First Lady with some style and taste back in the White House. Let’s remember some of her signature looks: F Brown Kids, Trump Hotel Drapes, Complicit Barbie, and of course Murder Christmas. pic.twitter.com/lBOzJxbHHJ— Anna (@anna_roca13) June 14, 2019
Jackie didn't become Jackie O until long after her President husband was assassinated. pic.twitter.com/vGoPS0v56O— Phil (@andeavorable) June 14, 2019
Jackie O visiting suffering children— Adam Best (@adamcbest) June 14, 2019
Melania visiting suffering children pic.twitter.com/eFhuBjcCJE
Others were just gobsmacked to learn why “Jackie O” was trending in the first place:
When you click on "Jackie O" to see why it's trending pic.twitter.com/hxmXTgto75— Laura Oganowski (@loganowski) June 14, 2019
When I saw why Jackie O is trending. pic.twitter.com/Yefs9zvc5d— LI Manhattan (@Manhattan510) June 14, 2019
Me: Why is Jackie O trending?— Isa_iemand🇨🇩 (@Isa_iemand) June 14, 2019
Sees why: pic.twitter.com/ppPc8P14jh
When you see Jackie O is trending and find out why pic.twitter.com/1oUYIsjOdT— Chrisanthrope (@lubbockchick) June 14, 2019
And then some people pointed out that the actual similarities between Jackie O and Melania are … maybe not something he wants to bring up.
The only thing Melania and Jackie O have in common is that their husbands weren't faithful.— Jensen Karp (@JensenKarp) June 14, 2019
Awkward, to say the least!
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.