- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
The *actual* similarities are maybe not something he should bring up.
President Donald Trump gave a wide-ranging special birthday interview on Friday morning’s Fox & Friends. Among the topics of conversation on the table were everything from his Kellyanne Conway problem to his Joe Biden problem—but he also took some time to discuss his proposed Air Force One redesign.
In doing so, he managed to step in it by comparing his wife, first lady Melania Trump, to former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.
“It’s been a long time, and it fits the plane better—you know, it’s a very different plane, and even though it’s a 747 [sic],” Trump told his grinning interviewers. “And I like the concept of red, white, and blue in the classic, and I think it’s going to look much better, actually.”
“You know, the baby blue doesn’t fit with us—people get used to something, and it was Jackie O and that’s good,” he continued. “But we have our own Jackie O today. It’s called Melania. Melania … we’ll call her Melania T! OK?”
Putting aside the fact that he referred to his wife as an “it,” Trump is saying that Jackie Kennedy was the inspiration for the original design of the first Air Force One in 1962. The classic slate blue and contemporary cyan color scheme—which was intended to represent the early republic and future of the presidency, respectively—has since carried through in each iteration of the aircraft into the present.
But whether one views an update of Air Force One as blasphemy, people were definitely not pleased with Trump’s comparison of the timeless style icon to the first lady known for her tree-planting stiletto heels and “I really don’t care, do u” jacket.
Melania is NO Jackie O.— Keisha Lenee (@remizmomma) June 14, 2019
Jackie O would NEVER wear something like this.👇🏾 pic.twitter.com/zNiwfJPWDa
Jackie O had class. No one named trump has ever had class and never will. Sorry DJT. Even being president doesn’t earn you class, which you have amply demonstrated. https://t.co/hEyRLvI89q— Howard Dean (@GovHowardDean) June 14, 2019
Trump says Melanie is the new Jackie O. I have to agree! I’m so glad we finally have a First Lady with some style and taste back in the White House. Let’s remember some of her signature looks: F Brown Kids, Trump Hotel Drapes, Complicit Barbie, and of course Murder Christmas. pic.twitter.com/lBOzJxbHHJ— Anna (@anna_roca13) June 14, 2019
Jackie didn't become Jackie O until long after her President husband was assassinated. pic.twitter.com/vGoPS0v56O— Phil (@andeavorable) June 14, 2019
Jackie O visiting suffering children— Adam Best (@adamcbest) June 14, 2019
Melania visiting suffering children pic.twitter.com/eFhuBjcCJE
Others were just gobsmacked to learn why “Jackie O” was trending in the first place:
When you click on "Jackie O" to see why it's trending pic.twitter.com/hxmXTgto75— Laura Oganowski (@loganowski) June 14, 2019
When I saw why Jackie O is trending. pic.twitter.com/Yefs9zvc5d— LI Manhattan (@Manhattan510) June 14, 2019
Me: Why is Jackie O trending?— Isa_iemand🇨🇩 (@Isa_iemand) June 14, 2019
Sees why: pic.twitter.com/ppPc8P14jh
When you see Jackie O is trending and find out why pic.twitter.com/1oUYIsjOdT— Chrisanthrope (@lubbockchick) June 14, 2019
And then some people pointed out that the actual similarities between Jackie O and Melania are … maybe not something he wants to bring up.
The only thing Melania and Jackie O have in common is that their husbands weren't faithful.— Jensen Karp (@JensenKarp) June 14, 2019
Awkward, to say the least!
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.