- Miss USA thought everyone spoke English—and the internet is not amused Thursday 8:02 PM
- Kanye’s Twitter tirade prompts apology from Drake Thursday 6:00 PM
- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t Thursday 4:55 PM
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed Thursday 4:39 PM
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Thursday 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Thursday 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Thursday 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Thursday 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Thursday 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Thursday 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Thursday 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Thursday 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Thursday 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Thursday 10:11 AM
GOP congressional candidate Paul Nehlen banned from Twitter for racist image
Twitter confirmed on Monday that it has permanently banned Republican congressional candidate Paul Nehlen for posting a racist image directed at Meghan Markle, the fiancee of Britain’s Prince Harry.
The offending tweet, posted by Nehlen on Friday, included an image of the royal prince next to Markle, whose face was superimposed with a picture of the reconstructed visual of “Cheddar Man,” Newsweek reported. Cheddar Man is the name given to the oldest complete skeleton found in Britain; researchers say he had dark skin and dark hair.
Nehlen is running to replace House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who he ran against in 2016 with the support of White House chief strategist Steve Bannon. The caption of Nehlen’s Markle tweet reportedly said, “Honey, does this tie make my face look pale?”
Users slammed Nehlen for the racist image. Actor Patrick J. Adams, who co-starred with Markle on the legal drama Suits, called Nehlen a “sad and sick man with no sense of shame or class.”
Oh @pnehlen – you’re a sad and sick man with no sense of shame or class. Get a life. And don’t go anywhere near MM – she’s got more power, strength, honor and compassion in her fingernail than you’ll ever know in this lifetime. Way above your weight class.
— Patrick J Adams (@halfadams) February 10, 2018
Nehlen defended his post with another tweet saying he was making a joke about articles that “‘science’ to ‘prove’ whites never existed.”
This racist POS is running for Congress (I won’t RT the original image of Markle he tweeted earlier). But we need to send the message that “candidates” like this have no place in our government and we’d be happy if they live the rest of there lives under the darkest rock. pic.twitter.com/XoDHCmbOK1
— Jenn Taylor-Skinner (@JTaylorSkinner) February 11, 2018
Twitter confirmed to Newsweek on Monday that Nehlen had been permanently suspended “for repeated violations of our terms of service.”
Nehlen has repeatedly been condemned as a white nationalist and “outrage artist.” Last month, Nehlen was criticized for anti-Semitism after he made a list of people who he said “attacked” him and classified each person as “Jew” or “non-Jew.”
H/T Huffington Post
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.