- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side 4 Weeks Ago
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint 4 Weeks Ago
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords 4 Weeks Ago
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Today 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Today 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Today 1:16 PM
- Don’t want a Fitbit? These step tracker apps got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- Protesters sing ‘Baby Shark’ to soothe frightened toddler Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Babu Frik, the adorable, teeny mechanic from ‘Rise of Skywalker’? Today 12:36 PM
- Senators push for social media data portability Today 12:11 PM
- ‘Stage Fright’ is a therapeutic lens into Jenny Slate’s weird world Today 11:34 AM
- Congressmen call on Twitter to shut down accounts for Hamas, Hezbollah Today 11:12 AM
- How to stream Lakers vs. Clippers Today 11:02 AM
- Popular Twitch streamer banned for something he didn’t even say Today 10:13 AM
- What is going on with C-3PO in the final trailer for ‘The Rise of Skywalker’? Today 10:04 AM
Justin Murphy, formerly “a respectable member of the organized left,” has provided the internet with a prime example of what not to tweet.
Hoping to piggyback on the dialogue inspired by Greta Thunberg’s impassioned speech at the United Nations yesterday, Murphy tweeted, “Not even being provocative but if you think Greta Thunberg has the maturity to guide global policy-making then you cannot object to Jeffrey Epstein paying 16-year-olds for sex.”
Not even being provocative but if you think Greta Thunberg has the maturity to guide global policy-making then you cannot object to Jeffrey Epstein paying 16-year-olds for sex.— Justin Murphy (@jmrphy) September 25, 2019
Murphy’s argument—that prostituting minors should be legal if people also listen to their opinions— was of the rarest quality: It brought together people from left, right and center. As one, united voice, they annihilated him. This will be a familiar experience for the former University of Southampton professor who once opined that people who are pro-choice should also support necrophilia.
“Definitely not being provocative, but Justin Murphy has never once registered in broader consciousness except by comparing things to paedophilia, necrophilia, eugenics, and so on. It’s like clockwork. Just when you think he’ll never be mentioned again, this schtick reappears,” said one presumably horrified person. “This dude has the tremor from Tremors plus Kevin Bacon in his brain,” another quipped.
“Not even being provocative but if you think teenagers get to have political opinions then maybe child rape is also fine? Like and subscribe for more libertarian takes using epic logic,” @classiclib3ral responded.
Justin Murphy: If young girls can have opinions I can also fuck them https://t.co/H65HzyEyRF— Rachel Kiki (@RachelKiki_) September 25, 2019
“either kids have never been right about a single god damn thing or I should get to have sex with them” -Justin Murphy— the sixler (@Thesixler) September 25, 2019
Holy fck.— ChankoBONE is Back🛡️🔥🐇 (@CKBNisBack) September 25, 2019
Avail yourself of the sea, and do it soon.
So who is Justin Murphy? The self-described political scientist and “libertarian communist Catholic” is a blogger and podcaster who really wants you to become a patron and get this cool sticker that “nobody else will ever have.”
He has also been known to analyze the number of moral words per tweet by self-identified social justice warriors for some reason. On YouTube, he opines about such subjects as “cath-pilled shoplifting theory” and “Epstein-feminism.”
“Children with opinions are ok to have sex with” -Justin Murphy https://t.co/iRGaU1ydjm— Drew (@EndSim) September 25, 2019
She isn’t guiding global policy you inbred horses twat. She’s asking leaders to lead. But keep reaching so that when it comes out you like to touch children you’ll have a semblance of a defense.— AJ (@notnowthankyou2) September 25, 2019
If 16 year old teenagers have political opinions, it also means that adults should be able to traffic and rape 16 year olds. My name is Justin Murphy, thank you for coming to my TED talk (I'm also most certainly not a child rapist).— San (@sansdn) September 25, 2019
Justin Murphy looks like an Onion byline. https://t.co/soarbiwaGV— Brandon Bird (@Brandon_Bird) September 25, 2019
Justin Murphy, babysitter for hire. pic.twitter.com/CFcItCdNHI— Corey (@wookietv) September 25, 2019
ew my brain is trying to figure out the logic and just ew stop it brain I don't want to understand it— Nicola Smith (@nickysmithster) September 25, 2019
(spoiler: there's no logic)
My dude, you just sent this out to thousands of people— Trillhouse (@MaloneRainja) September 25, 2019
So perhaps the next time he wants to share a thought with the world, maybe he should do himself a favor and just not.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.