- NRA calls Beto O’Rourke ‘AR-15 salesman of the month’ in wake of buyback proposal 2 Weeks Ago
- After 23 deaths, Sean Bean is tired of getting killed on-screen 2 Weeks Ago
- Stephen Miller has a girlfriend—and people are stunned 2 Weeks Ago
- Mickey Rourke says Robert De Niro iced him out of ‘The Irishman’ Today 11:07 AM
- Conservative men are melting down over Elizabeth Warren’s speech Today 10:40 AM
- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members Today 10:16 AM
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis Today 9:55 AM
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
When you’re a member of one of the most powerful families in world history, the beneficiary of tremendous wealth and utterly immune from the consequences of any of your actions, you think you might be able to handle the peasantry lobbing a few insults through cyberspace.
But apparently Prince Andrew can… not. He has turned off comments on his Instagram.
A sad day for the discourse, indeed. The news was first reported by the New York Post.
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, and eighth in line for the British crown, is mired in the Jeffrey Epstein scandal. In the wake of the sex trafficker’s arrest and suicide, famous names with dubious associations with Epstein went under further scrutiny.
One of those was Prince Andrew, who continued to hang out with Epstein even after he registered as a sex offender as part of a plea deal in Florida a decade ago. Two separate women have accused Andrew of sexual abuse while he was in Epstein’s orbit.
Said an accuser of Andrew in the wake of Epstein’s new arrest, “He knows what he’s done.”
As clamor over the Duke has grown, he issued a statement saying he never witnessed or participated in any wrongdoing while with Epstein: “At no stage during the limited time I spent with [Epstein] did I see, witness or suspect any behaviour of the sort that subsequently led to his arrest and conviction.”
If you found that answer to be lacking, you can not tell that to new posts on Andrew’s official account, @hrhthedukeofyork.
Users have been blocked from commenting on the four most recent pictures from the account.
However, comments are still open on old pictures, and, uhh…
Maybe it’s for the best.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]