- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Sunday 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Sunday 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Sunday 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Sunday 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
Reports are still rolling out of Silicon Valley after news broke that a woman opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters. While officials called it a domestic dispute, where the assailant shot at her boyfriend, that didn’t stop the right on Twitter from beginning to wildly speculate on motives and identity.
Update 10:18am CT, April 4: The shooting suspect has been ID’ed as 39-year-old San Diego resident Nasim Aghdam. Authorities have backpedaled on initial reports that she was a spurned lover, and have yet to designate a clear motive. However, Aghdam was angry at YouTube and actively wrote against it on social media.
Far-right site the Gateway Pundit has pushed willfully false and intentionally misleading narratives in the immediate aftermath of mass shootings and Tuesday was no different.
Moments after news broke that the woman was wearing a headscarf, Lucian Wintrich, White House correspondent for the site, called the shooter a “diversity hire.”
As reports of a headscarf being worn came out—a possible signifier of Muslim identity—leading conservatives jumped on the news to dog whistle about terrorism, in contrast to how they often stay silent when white men commit similar atrocities.
ABC reported that the shooter at the YouTube HQ is a white, adult female wearing a dark top and a headscarf.— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) April 3, 2018
KSAT: Law enforcement sources tell Bay Area ABC affiliate that the YouTube shooting suspect is an 'adult female wearing a dark top and head scarf'— Josh Caplan (@joshdcaplan) April 3, 2018
The coroner has been called to the scene of the YouTube shooting.— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) April 3, 2018
The Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital has received several patients with gun shot wounds from the shooting at YouTube.
Shooter described as female wearing a headscarf.
Police almost instantly, however, had said there was no link to terrorism. At least three people were taken to hospitals afterward, and the shooter was pronounced dead.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]