- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Today 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Today 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Today 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Today 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Today 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Today 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Today 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Today 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Today 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Today 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Today 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Today 11:33 AM
- The cast list for the ‘Kingsman’ prequel movie looks totally nuts Today 11:17 AM
- The best Prime Day deals to heat up your kitchen Today 11:16 AM
Lorie Shaull/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Warren calls for a massive overhaul of the country’s elections.
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) announced a plan to overhaul the country’s elections on Monday, adding to the numerous policy proposals the 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful has released in her campaign.
In the plan, which she unveiled in a post on Medium, Warren calls for making election day a federal holiday, replacing every voting machine in the country with up-to-date equipment, and having a uniform federal ballot.
Warren’s plan also calls for beefing up the country’s election security, including putting “all federal voting technology systems behind a security firewall like it’s Fort Knox.”
“It is time to make high-quality voting in the greatest democracy in the world easy, convenient, and professional. It’s time to secure our elections from all threats, foreign and domestic. It’s time to address election security, administration problems, and voter suppression,” the Massachusetts senator wrote.
Warren also proposes same-day and automatic voter registration and allowing for early voting and voting by mail.
The plan calls for an end of political gerrymandering, instead making states use independent election commissions to draw congressional districts.
“Our democracy is too important for it to be under-resourced and insecure,” Warren says in the post. “We need to do everything we can to make sure our elections are convenient, professional, and secure — and we should be willing to pay for it.”
You can read all of Warren’s election proposals here.
- Elizabeth Warren calls for a ban on private prisons
- Warren calls for new law allowing presidents to be indicted
- Elizabeth Warren hopes policy will set her apart in 2020
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).