- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Today 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Today 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Today 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Today 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Today 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Today 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Today 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Today 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Today 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Today 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Today 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Today 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Today 8:23 AM
- Disney’s Obi-Wan Kenobi miniseries is now on hold Today 6:47 AM
- The coronavirus outbreak has become a breeding ground of misinformation Today 6:30 AM
In a call with President Vladimir Putin after he won re-election in Russia, President Donald Trump ignored the recommendations of his staff and congratulated Putin on his dubious election win.
From the Washington Post:
President Trump did not follow specific warnings from his national security advisers Tuesday when he congratulated Russian President Vladimir Putin on his reelection — including a section in his briefing materials in all-capital letters stating “DO NOT CONGRATULATE,” according to officials familiar with the call.
Trump often ignores his staff’s advice, preferring to trust his own gut to the word of experts. But while his advisers were looking to prevent an international incident, if Trump listened to them, they also would have stopped him from becoming a meme.
The internet loved the story of the president being told not to praise Putin and going ahead and doing it anyway. Everyone jumped on the phrase “DO NOT CONGRATULATE.”
DO NOT CONGRATULATE pic.twitter.com/ioQjGjKPcr— Max Burns (@themaxburns) March 20, 2018
The holy trinity of DO NOT CONGRATULATE pic.twitter.com/9t9KyOfoab— Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying (@NoahJAguirre) March 21, 2018
“DO NOT CONGRATULATE” is what it says on my organ donor card.— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) March 20, 2018
DO NOT CONGRATULATE pic.twitter.com/jxtNnUKCYB— Chris Mohney (@chrismohney) March 21, 2018
Sometimes it’s not just international relations you need to keep in mind. You need to think about the internet’s reaction, too.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]