- Seed University might actually be the first good influencer school Tuesday 9:35 PM
- Black couple says they were accused of stealing during marriage proposal Tuesday 6:57 PM
- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony Tuesday 6:00 PM
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Tuesday 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Tuesday 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Tuesday 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Tuesday 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Tuesday 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Tuesday 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Tuesday 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Tuesday 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Tuesday 12:41 PM
‘DO NOT CONGRATULATE’ is the perfect meme to mock Trump’s call with Putin
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
DO NOT CONGRATULATE is pretty straightforward.
In a call with President Vladimir Putin after he won re-election in Russia, President Donald Trump ignored the recommendations of his staff and congratulated Putin on his dubious election win.
From the Washington Post:
President Trump did not follow specific warnings from his national security advisers Tuesday when he congratulated Russian President Vladimir Putin on his reelection — including a section in his briefing materials in all-capital letters stating “DO NOT CONGRATULATE,” according to officials familiar with the call.
Trump often ignores his staff’s advice, preferring to trust his own gut to the word of experts. But while his advisers were looking to prevent an international incident, if Trump listened to them, they also would have stopped him from becoming a meme.
The internet loved the story of the president being told not to praise Putin and going ahead and doing it anyway. Everyone jumped on the phrase “DO NOT CONGRATULATE.”
DO NOT CONGRATULATE pic.twitter.com/ioQjGjKPcr— Max Burns (@themaxburns) March 20, 2018
The holy trinity of DO NOT CONGRATULATE pic.twitter.com/9t9KyOfoab— Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying (@NoahJAguirre) March 21, 2018
“DO NOT CONGRATULATE” is what it says on my organ donor card.— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) March 20, 2018
DO NOT CONGRATULATE pic.twitter.com/jxtNnUKCYB— Chris Mohney (@chrismohney) March 21, 2018
Sometimes it’s not just international relations you need to keep in mind. You need to think about the internet’s reaction, too.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]