- Trump’s handwritten ‘I WANT NOTHING’ note gets memed Today 12:57 PM
- Facebook quietly launched a meme generator app called Whale Today 12:40 PM
- How to watch tonight’s fire Warriors vs. Mavericks matchup online Today 12:14 PM
- Android security flaw could have let hackers hijack your phone’s camera Today 12:10 PM
- How Julia Roberts playing Harriet Tubman became a meme Today 12:01 PM
- Woman banned from Instagram for sharing d*ck pic she didn’t ask for (updated) Today 11:55 AM
- People risking concussions for new TikTok challenge Today 11:14 AM
- A ‘Joker’ sequel could be in the works from Warner Bros. (updated) Today 11:06 AM
- Is Jake Paul going to fight again? There are plenty of clues Today 10:57 AM
- Ghostemane concert abruptly canceled amid ‘safety concerns’ and reported gun threat Today 10:41 AM
- Trump Jr. retweets UFC fighter who called troop a ‘douche bag’ Today 10:26 AM
- The best apps and gadgets for cooking the perfect Thanksgiving feast Today 10:22 AM
- Amazon says police can hold on to Ring videos indefinitely Today 9:42 AM
- Henry Cavill on the prospect of playing Superman again: ‘the cape is still in the closet’ Today 9:15 AM
- Why does Pete Buttigieg always tweet ‘buh’? Today 9:08 AM
And 0ne of the bigger flare-ups of the night happened when former Gov. John Hickenlooper (D-Colo.) tried to mock Sanders during a debate they had over “radical changes” in the Democratic party. Hickenlooper said he was worried about the direction the party was going when Sanders reacted.
“So put your hands up–” Hickenlooper said.
“I will,” Sanders responded, raising his hands up.
“Oho, I can do it!” Hickenlooper said, doing the same.
Hickenlooper even tweeted about it.
“As Governor, I didn’t just talk about plans or throw my hands up – I got the tough stuff done,” the former governor tweeted.
As Governor, I didn't just talk about plans or throw my hands up - I got the tough stuff done. pic.twitter.com/KdUcWiDg90— John Hickenlooper (@Hickenlooper) July 31, 2019
Sanders also tweeted part of the exchange but left out the hand-raising moment
“We are going to defeat Donald Trump (and beat him badly) because we are going to expose him as a fraud and a phony. #DemDebate,” he wrote.
The moment caught the attention of people online.
Hickenlooper: Throw your hands up Bernie: pic.twitter.com/AlLm43vJ7e— Canan Tanir (JAH-nawn) (@TanirCanan) July 31, 2019
THROW YOUR HANDS UP pic.twitter.com/dddb4BxOLd— The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) July 31, 2019
Too bad Beto O’Rourke didn’t get to participate.
- Elizabeth Warren says ‘this isn’t funny’ when audience laughs at healthcare debate
- Cardi B asked Bernie Sanders questions culled from her Instagram followers
- Bernie Sanders pledges to nominate FCC commissioners who will reinstate net neutrality
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).