- The LGBTQ and Black communities deserve real answers about the Jussie Smollett case Today 3:51 PM
- The Jussie Smollett-Trump collusion discourse is a condescending Wonka meme come to life Today 3:47 PM
- Even teachers are in on TikTok’s #hitthewoah Today 2:49 PM
- Editor’s history of calling trans people ‘frauds’ shines light on Economist’s transphobic tweet Today 2:24 PM
- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ posters reveal the fates of several Marvel characters Today 2:12 PM
- Man pleads guilty to stealing over $100 million from Facebook, Google Today 12:59 PM
- Washington Post under fire for transphobic cartoon about the Mueller Report Today 12:33 PM
- Congressman quotes ‘Mein Kampf’ on House floor Today 11:55 AM
- Rapper Tone Loc detained after confronting teen in Confederate flag hat Today 11:37 AM
- Sarah Sanders shares Mueller Madness bracket Today 10:19 AM
- NASA postpones all-women spacewalk over lack of suits that fit the female astronauts Today 10:17 AM
- Texas Rangers shortstop walks up to ‘Baby Shark’ Today 9:58 AM
- The best wireless gaming headsets under $100 Today 9:23 AM
- Trump demands networks blacklist these guests—including prominent Democrats Today 9:09 AM
- Bookworms! Now’s your chance to grab 3 months of Amazon Music for free Today 9:00 AM
Trump ironically slams Beto O’Rourke about his very active hand movements
People pointed out that Trump also waves his hands a lot.
The president made the remarks on Thursday morning while meeting with Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar at the White House.
O’Rourke’s hand movements during a video he posted online early Thursday that announced he was running became a focus of online fascination.
I am running to serve you as the next president. The challenges we face are the greatest in living memory. No one person can meet them on their own. Only this country can do that, and only if we build a movement that includes all of us. Say you're in: https://t.co/EKLdkVET2u pic.twitter.com/lainXyvG2n
— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) March 14, 2019
“I think he’s got a lot of hand movement. I’ve never seen so much hand movement. I said ‘is he crazy or is that just the way he acts?'” the president said. “So I’ve never seen hand movement. I watched him a little while this morning, doing I assume it was some kind of a news conference. I’ve actually never seen anything quite like it. Study it, I’m sure you’ll agree.”
— CBS News (@CBSNews) March 14, 2019
Trump says Beto had a lot of hand movement, wonders if he is crazy pic.twitter.com/i3Q2SloJD8
— Jeff Mason (@jeffmason1) March 14, 2019
The president was not alone in noticing O’Rourke’s hands in the video, but his knock on the 2020 hopeful’s hands struck many people online as ironic, considering his own hand movements during speeches are well known.
Trump has a long history of criticizing people for things he himself is guilty of.
Lol. Trump ragging on Beto for excessive "hand movement."
At least they're BIG hands. 😁
— The Cat Ate My Mueller Report Shelly (@TexHellCat) March 14, 2019
— Cynthia (@betterwchile) March 14, 2019
— Huh (@debbie_marney41) March 14, 2019
Trump: Beto moves his hands too much…must be crazy or something…
Me: Bruh… pic.twitter.com/IExropeXFo
— happysnarkygal2 (@happysnarkygal2) March 14, 2019
Donald Trump on Beto O'Rourke: "Well, he's got a lot of hand movement. I've never seen so much hand movement. Is he crazy, or what?"
The projection never ends with this guy. 🙄
— Sergio Siano (@sianoresist) March 14, 2019
Maybe Trump will unveil a hands-related nickname for O’Rourke soon?
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).