- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit 4 Weeks Ago
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
Conservative YouTuber Dave Rubin reposted a video of the endearing interaction between Ocasio-Cortez and Velour with the caption, “Your Democratic 2024 ticket, ladies and gentlemen and other…” The post antagonized conservative rage.
Your Democratic 2024 ticket, ladies and gentlemen and other...pic.twitter.com/DIE6z6qXMd— Dave Rubin (@RubinReport) November 12, 2019
While some fuming conservatives bashed on Ocasio-Cortez, others took offense to Velour’s gender fluidity. One troll, in particular, claimed that WWII soldiers would submit to Nazi Germany if they saw the support the gender-fluid community has present day. Then, he pushed it even further by saying he would stand with the Nazis over an Ocasio-Cortez-Velour 2024 ticket in response to Rubin’s tweet.
“American soldiers in WW2 would have surrendered and defected en masse to the Nazis had they been able to see what they were really fighting for,” Twitter user @SubmitToGravity wrote. “Give me a choice between the kind of insanity we see pictured and the Nazis, I’m taking the Nazis, without blinking an eye.”
People satirically responded to the Nazi supporter.
“Has the sight of a man in women’s clothing ever made you so mad that it made you support the Holocaust,” Twitter user @classiclib3ral wrote.
Has the sight of a man in women's clothing ever made you so mad that it made you support the Holocaust pic.twitter.com/h49hyZfZM4— Wild Geerters (@classiclib3ral) November 12, 2019
According to Out, Ocasio-Cortez met Velour backstage at Velour’s Washington, D.C. show. Ocasio-Cortez is a superfan of RuPaul’s Drag Race, a reality competition show in search of America’s next big drag star. Velour was crowned the winner of the series’ ninth season.
“I thought it was amazing, it was incredible, it was fabulous,” Ocasio-Cortez said in the video. “I’m like that Lady Gaga moment where she’s like, ‘stunning, amazing, impeccable, genius.’”
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.