- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
Conservatives will take any opportunity they can get to rag on Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) for being a normal human being. For example, many expressed outrage upon learning that she spent $300 (plus tip) on a haircut and color. The fact that she paid someone a fairly average amount of money for a necessary service sparked fake outrage amongst her haters, who apparently think her criticisms of the rich mean she should not pay skilled workers for their time and talents.
One critic, in particular, former Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (R), took aim at Ocasio-Cortez Saturday by posting a selfie of himself in a barbershop, alongside the caption “Getting my $26 (with tip) haircut.”
Walker’s attempt at a dig has thoroughly backfired, with his tweet getting significantly ratioed.
Getting my $26 (with tip) haircut. pic.twitter.com/RqoHNNeC9L— Scott Walker (@ScottWalker) October 12, 2019
While some are joking that Walker paid too little, others are joking that he actually overpaid. “You barely have any hair! Of course it was cheap,” one wrote. “You got ripped off,” another said.
Others pointed out that Walker is a man, and men’s haircuts are always cheaper than women’s. “Ask your wife how much she spends on her hair to keep up with the standards men expect them to in our society,” Twitter user @MoBill wrote.
I get free haircuts, because I just use clippers at home.— 🌲Million Bonobos Demand 🌲 (@otto_maddoxx) October 12, 2019
I can't believe you're spending 26 dollars on a haircut.
Now you have to do it, too. Because I tweeted about it.
Some guessed how much of a tip Walker left. “I guarantee the haircut was $25.99 and this guy was like ‘no, man, keep the change,'” Twitter user @whatkyIasaid wrote. Another assumed Walker only left a 2% tip.
I guarantee the haircut was $25.99 and this guy was like “no, man, keep the change”— kyla (@whatkyIasaid) October 12, 2019
You overpaid— Ike Barinholtz (@ikebarinholtz) October 12, 2019
See how easy and cheap men have it?— Mo Latno Bill Phelan (@MoBill) October 12, 2019
Ask your wife how much she spends on her hair to keep up with the standards men expect them to in our society.
You barely have any hair! Of course it was cheap. Why even bother going to get it cut? You could have done that at home & saved yourself the $26.— JDB 🌹 (@daaamnitjanet) October 12, 2019
Let’s guess, 2% tip? Now do bras— Kim Newberry Patton 🍑 🍄 (@knewberrypatton) October 12, 2019
Do you get a discount as a result of how much of it is receding?— d_mcc (@d_mccarthy37) October 12, 2019
You got ripped off— Erin sexy whistleblower Ryan (@morninggloria) October 12, 2019
Such a deal! Is the Neo-Nazi cut the only one available?— EJ (@ejtwister) October 12, 2019
Things Scott Walker doesn't know:— 1000/24ths vulcan (@RaisingOneBrow) October 12, 2019
1. Women's haircuts cost more than men's haircuts do
2. D.C. is more expensive than East Bumblefuck, Wisconsin
3. No one wants Scott Walker's opinion, SCOTT
Scott Walker's Presidential chances since 2015 pic.twitter.com/zUypW0QaYM— Alex (@AlexSheltman) October 12, 2019
While many were commenting on the haircut itself, others took aim at the financial distress Walker’s time as governor caused Wisconsin. And they did not hold back.
WE paid $2586 for YOUR haircut. What a bargain for you. pic.twitter.com/1FLzhHtlwz— Randy Bryce (@IronStache) October 12, 2019
You could buy 184,615,384 of those haircuts with the taxpayer dollars you handed to Foxconn— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) October 12, 2019
What exactly are you spending all that money you made union busting on— Ken Klippenstein (@kenklippenstein) October 12, 2019
Walker unintentionally highlighted an important point in favor of Ocasio-Cortez’s $300 ‘do: You get the haircut you pay for.
Rachel Kiley is a writer who sometimes writes things and sometimes is based in L.A., but is definitely always on Twitter @rachelkiley.