- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge 3 Months Ago
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth 3 Months Ago
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Today 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Today 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Today 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Today 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Today 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Today 12:21 PM
- ‘Joker’ ad compares Todd Phillips to Gandhi Today 12:10 PM
- Mom learned about her special needs son’s abuse by seeing TikTok video Today 11:21 AM
- Influencer gets revenge on her male trolls with Instagram account Today 10:32 AM
- Conservatives are frothing over a Ukraine joke told on CNN Today 10:26 AM
- Dua Lipa isn’t canceled—but her fans are defending her in #DuaLipaIsOverParty like she is Today 9:21 AM
- These YouTube videos claim to show the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash (they don’t) Today 9:08 AM
- More than 40 colleges say they won’t use facial recognition on campus Today 8:32 AM
It started Friday afternoon when Grande tweeted, “baby how u feelin” in reference to her “Good As Hell” collab with Lizzo. Sanders, always on the grind to rally young voters, quoted Grande’s tweet and said, “Ready to fight for Medicare for All.”
Ready to fight for Medicare for All. https://t.co/tltURZpb6a— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) October 25, 2019
Grande simply responded, “screaming.”
screaming https://t.co/43v8mlQcCe— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) October 25, 2019
Ocasio-Cortez, who is known for her stellar use of social media to connect with voters, responded with a short playlist of Grande’s music to represent progressive policies Ocasio-Cortez and Sanders are fighting for. “Thank u, next” is passing medicare for all, “God is a Woman” is repealing the Hyde Amendment, “Break Free” is forgiving student loans, and “Be Alright” is passing a Green New Deal. To underscore her excitement, Grande responded “screaming screaming.”
screaming screaming— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) October 25, 2019
Ocasio-Cortez, who is the youngest woman ever elected to Congress, recently endorsed Sanders for president. Though she has faced backlash for not endorsing a female or minority candidate, Ocasio-Cortez says she chose Sanders because he inspired her to run for Congress in the first place.
“The only reason that I had any hope in launching a long-shot campaign for Congress is because Bernie Sanders proved that you can run a grassroots campaign and win in an America where we almost thought it was impossible,” Ocasio-Cortez told voters.
Though the effect Ocasio-Cortez’s endorsement will have on Sanders’ poll numbers is unknown, her endorsement and the social media exposure that comes with it will surely energize young voters.
Esther Bell is a writer for the Daily Dot. She recently graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in journalism, and her work has appeared in Bustle and Teen Vogue.