- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change 2 Months Ago
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring 2 Months Ago
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Today 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Today 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Today 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Today 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Today 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Today 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Today 10:11 AM
- Uncanny ‘Back to the Future’ deepfake transports Tom Holland and Robert Downey, Jr. to 1985 Today 10:04 AM
- Everyone is doing the Renegade. Including the teen who started it Today 9:23 AM
- Reality Winner is asking for clemency—will she get it? Today 7:59 AM
- There’s a Baby Yoda mod for ‘Star Wars: Battlefront II’ Today 7:38 AM
- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
This post contains graphic content.
A gunman shot two people inside of a church in White Settlement, Texas, on Sunday before church members shot and killed him.
One person has died and another is in critical condition, according to the Dallas Morning News. The police have not yet released information about the identity of the shooter or his motive.
“Places of worship are meant to be sacred, and I am grateful for the church members who acted quickly to take down the shooter and help prevent further loss of life,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted on Sunday.
Statement on shooting at West Freeway Church of Christ in White Settlement: pic.twitter.com/Crrrvavvs6— Gov. Greg Abbott (@GovAbbott) December 29, 2019
The church service was reportedly live streamed on the West Freeway Church of Christ’s YouTube channel. The video has since been taken down, but copies are circulating on Twitter.
BREAKING: At least two people were shot and killed today at the Church of Christ in White Settlement, Texas, while the service was live streamed on YouTube. Witnesses say armed security guards were present. #txlege https://t.co/1fyTnKAxEO— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) December 29, 2019
The video shows a man dressed in black talking with a man inside the church before pointing a gun at him. A bystander stands up and grabs his gun from his waistband. The shooter appears to open fire on the man with the gun and then at the first man he had approached.
Another church attendee grabbed his gun from his waistband and shot the suspect as he started to turn around to walk to the front of the church.
The graphic video shows parishioners frantically taking cover and attempting to escape the church.
BREAKING: Video shows gunman open fire at West Freeway Church of Christ in White Settlement, Texas before being shot dead by armed security; the service was being live-streamed on YouTube pic.twitter.com/58YcB8ODT1— GrantB911 (@GrantB911) December 29, 2019
The White Settlement shooting comes two years after the Sutherland Springs mass shooting in Texas, in which a gunman killed 26 people in a church.
- Parkland shooter detailed plans for mass shooting in cellphone videos
- Ohio teen who posted praise for mass shootings online arrested with 10,000 rounds of ammunition
- A YouTuber simulated a mass shooting from his hotel room–and then posted the videos
Sierra Juarez is a freelance journalist and fact-checker based in Mexico. She most enjoys writing about human rights and politics and working in audience engagement. Her work has appeared in the Texas Tribune, the Austin American–Statesman, and the San Antonio Current.