- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman 2 Years Ago
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Today 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
The images are show a harsh reality for the trans community.
Attackers in Brazil dragged Dandara dos Santos, 42, from her home in Fortaleza, in the northeastern part of the country before beating her to death, all while shouting expletives and slurs. Santos can be heard pleading for her life in the video.
The crime occurred on Feb. 15, but police released the video of Santos’ death just recently, in the hope that it would help identify her attackers. Police say they have since been able to identify six suspects.
The video, which you can see stills of here, visualizes in stark images the ongoing violence faced by the trans community.
America has already seen seven transgender people killed this year, and violent attacks and discrimination are occurring throughout the world. In Saudi Arabia this week, 35 transgender people were arrested by police, and two of them were tortured and killed.
Santos was the fifth transgender person murdered in Brazil in the month of February. The government of Ceará, the region where Santos was killed, condemned the attack.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]