- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
- Reddit users share stories of the worst things guests have done in their homes Wednesday 1:25 PM
- WikiLeaks lawyer says Trump offered Assange a pardon—if he’d deny Russian hack Wednesday 1:16 PM
- 6-year-old placed in psychiatric facility for ‘trantrum’ is seen acting calm in body cam footage Wednesday 1:05 PM
- Amy Klobuchar devouring Ivanka Trump is the 2020 vore crossover no one wanted Wednesday 12:32 PM
- Review: Hulu’s ‘Devs’ is a brilliant work of near-future science fiction Wednesday 11:53 AM
- Rapper Pop Smoke dead at 20 Wednesday 11:42 AM
- KSI says he will back Team YouTube if Logan Paul fights Antonio Brown Wednesday 11:29 AM
Attackers in Brazil dragged Dandara dos Santos, 42, from her home in Fortaleza, in the northeastern part of the country before beating her to death, all while shouting expletives and slurs. Santos can be heard pleading for her life in the video.
The crime occurred on Feb. 15, but police released the video of Santos’ death just recently, in the hope that it would help identify her attackers. Police say they have since been able to identify six suspects.
The video, which you can see stills of here, visualizes in stark images the ongoing violence faced by the trans community.
America has already seen seven transgender people killed this year, and violent attacks and discrimination are occurring throughout the world. In Saudi Arabia this week, 35 transgender people were arrested by police, and two of them were tortured and killed.
Santos was the fifth transgender person murdered in Brazil in the month of February. The government of Ceará, the region where Santos was killed, condemned the attack.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]