- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Friday 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Friday 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Friday 8:34 AM
The images are show a harsh reality for the trans community.
Attackers in Brazil dragged Dandara dos Santos, 42, from her home in Fortaleza, in the northeastern part of the country before beating her to death, all while shouting expletives and slurs. Santos can be heard pleading for her life in the video.
The crime occurred on Feb. 15, but police released the video of Santos’ death just recently, in the hope that it would help identify her attackers. Police say they have since been able to identify six suspects.
The video, which you can see stills of here, visualizes in stark images the ongoing violence faced by the trans community.
America has already seen seven transgender people killed this year, and violent attacks and discrimination are occurring throughout the world. In Saudi Arabia this week, 35 transgender people were arrested by police, and two of them were tortured and killed.
Santos was the fifth transgender person murdered in Brazil in the month of February. The government of Ceará, the region where Santos was killed, condemned the attack.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]