- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Sunday 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Sunday 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Sunday 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Sunday 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
T.I.’s daughter–Deyjah Harris–is back on Instagram after a two-month hiatus, following the “hymen check” controversy.
She published two new posts for her 1.5 million followers: a video showing off her new ink and a photo rocking an electric blue wig.
“I’m ready for my next tattoo already,” Harris wrote, along with a shoutout to her tattoo artist. “If you’re ever looking for a bomb tattoo artist in ATL, hit up @beyond_artistic and tell him i sent you!”
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Deyjah Harris✨ (@princess_of_da_south) on
Harris made her exit from Instagram after her father sparked controversy for admitting that he takes her to the gynecologist yearly to check her hymen. T.I. seemingly believes that an “intact” hymen is proof of virginity (it is not).
On a November episode of the Ladies Like Us podcast, T.I. described taking his daughter to a gynecologist the day after her birthday parties to make sure she was still a virgin.
“Usually like the day after the party, she’s enjoying her gifts, I put a sticky note on the door: ‘Gyno. Tomorrow. 9:30,” the rapper said. “As of her 18th birthday, her hymen is still intact.”
His comments were met with immediate backlash and outcry, with celebrities, activists, doctors, and even organizations denouncing T.I.’s stringent policing of his daughter’s sexuality and promotion of hymen checks. It even prompted the state of New York to consider banning the practice.
“This makes me feel physically ill,” Handmaid’s Tale star Madeline Brewer tweeted in response to the comments. “It’s abhorrent. This isn’t behavior to laugh at or joke about. The level of toxicity and malice and control he’s exerting on his own daughter’s life and bodily autonomy and privacy. I’m sick.”
This makes me feel physically ill. It’s abhorrent. This isn’t behavior to laugh at or joke about. The level of toxicity and malice and control he’s exerting on his own daughters life and bodily autonomy and and privacy. I’m sick https://t.co/x3L8q38VWg— Madeline Brewer (@madkbrew) November 6, 2019
Planned Parenthood blasted the rapper on Twitter with an indirect jab.
“Idk who needs to hear this but virginity is a made-up social construct, and it has absolutely nothing to do with your hymen,” the organization wrote at the time.
Idk who needs to hear this but virginity is a made-up social construct, and it has absolutely nothing to do with your hymen.— Planned Parenthood (@PPFA) November 6, 2019
T.I. tried his best to do damage control by appearing on Jada Pinkett Smith’s Red Table Talk Facebook show to discuss his comments. The rapper said he apologized to his daughter and had no idea “how serious and personal it was until after he said it.”
Deyjah Harris has yet to publicly address the controversy.
- People are creeped out T.I. takes his daughter to the gynecologist yearly to check her hymen
- ‘That’s not a hymen’ meme is here to troll T.I.
- T.I. breaks his silence about checking his daughter’s hymen
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.