- How to stream Argentina vs. Brazil live Thursday 6:51 PM
- Miss Fame calls out Justin Bieber for low music video appearance pay offer Thursday 6:19 PM
- Trump Jr. ranked No. 1 on best-seller list—after the GOP gave away copies of his book Thursday 5:45 PM
- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination Thursday 5:09 PM
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching Thursday 5:00 PM
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Thursday 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Thursday 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Thursday 2:57 PM
- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time Thursday 1:46 PM
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency Thursday 1:46 PM
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Thursday 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Thursday 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Thursday 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Thursday 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Thursday 11:24 AM
I think we’re all familiar with the overprotective dad trope, but it appears rapper T.I. is taking things to the extreme.
Speaking on the “Life Hacks” episode of the podcast Ladies Like Us with Nazanin Mandi, the 39-year-old rapper opened up about his parenting style and admitted he takes his teenage daughter, Deyjah Harris, to the gynecologist every year to make sure she’s still a virgin.
“I will say as of her 18th birthday, her hymen is still intact,” T.I. said.
“Deyjah’s, 18, just graduated high school now and she’s attending her first year of college, figuring it out for herself,” the rapper continued. “And yes, not only have we had the conversation about sex, we have yearly trips to the gynecologist to check her hymen.”
As one might imagine, the internet is up in arms.
“T.I, a man who publicly & infamously cheated on his wife on a regular basis with no respect for his family while being accessible community dick, made himself the protector of his daughter’s hymen?!” Twitter user @hausofriya wrote. “Won’t let her fuckin ride a bike to keep it intact? This man is a sick psychopath.”
T.I, a man who publicly & infamously cheated on his wife on a regular basis with no respect for his family while being accessible community dick, made himself the protector of his daughter’s hymen?! Wont let her fuckin ride a bike to keep it intact? This man is a sick psychopath. pic.twitter.com/TZ2sjwxbPZ— farxiyo (@hausofriya) November 6, 2019
T.I. is disgusting to discuss his daughters sex life— George M Johnson (@IamGMJohnson) November 6, 2019
Then to have the double standard of being ok with your 15 year old son having sex. And like, are you gonna beat her ass if she did?
And this feels like that "I didn't want a daughter bc I treated women like trash" bs.
This is disgusting and horrible.— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) November 6, 2019
Rapper T.I. says that he takes his daughter to the gynecologist to make sure her hymen is still intact!
Even after her 18th birthday (not that it makes it ok before her 18th birthday)
Horrifying https://t.co/hQwSSsqJER pic.twitter.com/59rSMTDKfz
So instead of taking yearly trips to the gynecologist to check for vaginal & reproductive health.— Whole Lotta Mixed Messages Black (@SistaaMary) November 6, 2019
Or ovarian cancer.
Or ovarian cysts.
TI goes to the gyno to make sure his daughters hymen is still “intact”
Mannn toxic masculinity should be a crime. pic.twitter.com/er0bwtYxR4
This is absolutely disgusting and perverted and vile and ignorant and just plain wrong. TI is a sick, controlling narcissist and there is absolutely NO way Deyjah, her mother or any woman in TI’s life should be okay with this. https://t.co/tDjVdAoSom— Candice Marie Benbow (@CandiceBenbow) November 6, 2019
As the hosts of the podcasts chortled at the revelation of how the rapper—uh—parents, he dug himself a bigger by explaining what happens during these annual exams.
“So it’s this one time we go, I think this might have been after [her] 16th birthday. This is what we do. Right after the birthday we celebrate,” the rapper explained. “Usually like the day after the party, she’s enjoying her gifts. I put a sticky note on the door: Gyno. Tomorrow. 9:30.”
To make matters even grosser: He checks the results of the pelvic exam himself.
While it’s clear the rapper equated a broken hymen to not being a virgin, he said doctors have explained to him that there are other ways besides sex the hymen can be broken, including bike riding and horseback riding.
But T.I. doesn’t believe that’s a plausible reason for why his daughter’s hymen might not be intact.
“So I say, ‘Look doc, she don’t ride no horses, she don’t ride no bike, she don’t play no sports,” he said on the podcast. “Just check the hymen please and give me back my results expeditiously.’”
T.I. said he thinks his daughter remaining a virgin will make it harder for her to get a guy to stick around because virgins are “no fun.”
Though T.I.’s method of parenting his daughters appears intrusive and disgusting—to put it lightly—he doesn’t appear to hold his sons to the same standard. (Shocker.) In a recent season of T.I. & Tiny: Friends & Family Hustle, Tiny finds out that her high school son King is not a virgin.
T.I. proudly stating he goes to the gyno with his daughter to make sure she's a virgin is disgusting. It's upsetting me that he's putting this out there like it's a genius parenting tactic. Your daughter's vagina does not belong to you. WTF.— Natelegé Whaley (@natelege_) November 6, 2019
Alexandra Samuels is a political reporter at the Texas Tribune and contributor to the Daily Dot, where she started as an intern covering politics in the summer of 2016. She enjoys Marvel movies, baking, and reading murder-mystery novels.