- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old 2 Years Ago
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing 2 Years Ago
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Today 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Today 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Today 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Today 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting Today 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Today 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Today 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Today 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Today 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Today 10:40 AM
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular Today 10:24 AM
- YouTube permanently bans ‘news’ channel that said impeachment was ‘Jew coup’ Today 10:21 AM
- FIFA pro banned from all EA games following threatening rant Today 10:16 AM
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is most definitely a “male feminist.” He’s an advocate for women, both in his words by calling for the celebration of women’s achievements, and in practice by establishing a gender-equal cabinet.
He also mansplains feminism to women, which is a primary defining feature of “male feminists” everywhere.
During the Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, stop on his cross-country town hall tour, Trudeau interrupted a women asking a question to correct her on her gender-neutral language. The woman, representing World Mission Society of God, a religion that explores “God the mother,” asked Trudeau about religious charitable groups’ abilities to do volunteer work.
“We have received many awards throughout the whole world, however, unfortunately in Canada, our volunteering as a religious charitable organization is extremely difficult…In actuality, we cannot do free volunteering to help our neighbors in need as we truly desire,” the woman told Trudeau, standing in the bleachers while speaking into a mic. “We came here today to ask you to also look into the policies that religious charitable organizations have in our legislations so that it can also be changed, because maternal love is the love that’s going to change the future of mankind.”
Yes, though the woman acknowledged her group’s dedication to “maternal” love, she used a word that Trudeau immediately took issue with: mankind.
“We like to say ‘peoplekind,’ not necessarily ‘mankind,’ because it’s more inclusive,” Trudeau interrupted the woman.
“There we go, exactly! Yes, thank you,” the woman replied positively in response, the crowd clapping at Trudeau’s correction.
“We can all learn from each other,” Trudeau continued, before allowing the woman to finish her question.
It seems that the woman herself wasn’t too put-off by Trudeau’s interruption and explanation to why she should use “personkind” instead. But while the crowd at the town hall cheered Trudeau’s assertion, the internet was none too “kind” to the prime minister, who appeared to have not only interrupted the woman, but also “mansplained” to her what gender equality looks like.
Say what you want about the Canada Summer Jobs "kerfuffle", but I can "attest" that no woman should be mansplained about feminism, not even from someone as good looking as PM @JustinTrudeau #peoplekind https://t.co/6kxomUTcIT— Sarah Mix-Ross (@sarahmixross) February 5, 2018
TFW a man tells you you're the wrong type of feminist https://t.co/wQ8CkmXwa5— Robyn Urback (@RobynUrback) February 5, 2018
"Mankind" isn't gender neutral, but "feminism" represents equality for both genders.— Diary of a Muslimah (@ImamBisseh) February 6, 2018
-Justin Trudeau, probably. https://t.co/bSfG0GIpsS
Justin Trudeau correcting a girl for saying "mankind" because it's offensive is truly amazing pic.twitter.com/SDCcpSXhkB— Ben McDonald (@Bmac0507) February 5, 2018
Sorry, Trudeau—that’s an “A” for effort, but an “F” for execution. No worries, however. He’ll restore his woke PM persona, and the internet’s love in him, soon enough.
Watch the full interaction between Trudeau and the woman asking him a question below:
H/T Daily Mail
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.