- Fan uncovers ‘Westworld’ trailers hidden on fictional company’s website Sunday 8:18 PM
- This trending Twitter hashtag is a lot less sexy than you think Sunday 7:23 PM
- TikTok users share life-changing realizations they’ve had while in the shower Sunday 7:04 PM
- People are torn over viral TikTok of girl cleaning friend’s room Sunday 4:01 PM
- Did Pete Buttigieg seriously just rip-off a famous Obama speech? Sunday 2:50 PM
- The most dangerous TikTok challenges we’ve seen—so far Sunday 2:22 PM
- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review Sunday 1:44 PM
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids Sunday 1:08 PM
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Sunday 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Sunday 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Sunday 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
If you’ve ever wanted to block someone from following you on Instagram without causing social media drama, you might soon be able to do just that. Instagram confirmed it’s testing a new feature that will allow users with public accounts to remove followers, the Verge reports.
The feature doesn’t notify followers when you remove them, giving you more power over who can see you account even if it’s public while (hopefully) letting you avoid the extreme measure of a block.
Until recently, Instagram only let private users delete followers, but in recent months, public users, mostly on Android, have seen the feature pop up on their apps.
Instagram now lets you remove your followers. ITS FKN LIT. imma go down to like 300 followers after i filter through all of you.— 6 (@cherrialani) June 11, 2018
i love how instagram lets you remove followers now because blocking is so fucking immature lmaoo— ev (@yungeveliitt) June 11, 2017
The old-fashioned version of this feature was “soft-blocking,” that is, blocking someone and then unblocking them in order to stop them from following your account. But this comes with the risk of someone potentially finding out that you blocked them if you don’t unblock quick enough.
Another passive approach is the newly implemented mute function, which allows you to mute posts and stories from people you want to keep following but whose content you don’t want to see.
From favorite followers to chronological timelines, Instagram users will always have new requests. Although it’s unknown if and when the platform will roll out the “remove followers” option for everyone, testing of the feature indicates Instagram is taking note of users’ wishlists.
- Can you tell if someone is looking at your Instagram?
- Here are the best times to post on Instagram
- How to tell if someone blocked you on Instagram
H/T the Verge
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.