Juul Labs, the makers of the popular e-cigaratte, announced on Wednesday that its CEO stepped down and that it will stop advertising in the United States as the Trump administration works on a policy that would ban all flavored e-cigarettes.
The company announced the changes in a blog post on Wednesday. CEO Kevin Burns is stepping down and will be replaced with K.C. Crosthwaite.
Juul added that it will not lobby against the Trump administration as it continues to work on a flavored e-cigarette ban. It is also suspending all broadcast, print, and digital advertising, effective immediately.
“I have long believed in a future where adult smokers overwhelmingly choose alternative products like JUUL… Unfortunately, today that future is at risk due to unacceptable levels of youth usage and eroding public confidence in our industry,” Crosthwaite said in a statement. “Against that backdrop, we must strive to work with regulators, policymakers and other stakeholders, and earn the trust of the societies in which we operate. That includes inviting an open dialogue, listening to others and being responsive to their concerns.”
Earlier this month, Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar said the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the administration is finalizing a policy which would ban the sale of non-tobacco flavored e-cigarettes—including mint and menthol-flavored ones.
The policy comes as health officials continue to investigate a mysterious illness linked to some form of vaping.