- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Today 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Today 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Today 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Today 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Today 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV Today 5:00 AM
- How to watch Arizona State vs. Utah Today 4:00 AM
- How to watch Michigan vs. Penn State Today 4:00 AM
- How to watch Florida vs. South Carolina Today 4:00 AM
How to customize Facebook Messenger with chat colors and emoji
You can have more fun with Facebook Messenger.
As Facebook turns Messenger into a payments service, car-hailing app, and personal assistant, it’s not forgetting its roots. The company rolled out a handful of updates to Messenger in 2016, including Photo Magic, the feature that uses facial recognition in your phone’s camera roll to identify friends. Facebook also made it possible to change Messenger color, customize animation, and add emojis. Now each conversation you have in Messenger can be unique, which is great for people who are bored of the basic blue.
Since each Messenger conversation is customized, you can switch things up from the individual message’s settings. If you’re on iOS, tap on the name at the top of the conversation to access the features. On Android, the “info” button will get you there.
How to change Messenger color
You can change the color, set an emoji, and pick nicknames for your friends. The emoji will sit in the lower right corner in the Messenger app and on the web. When you tap it, the emoji is sent immediately.
- How to get faster Wi-Fi
- The 101 best movies on Netflix
- How does Hulu work—and how much does it cost?
- The best Snapchat hacks, tips, tricks, and secret functions
Some of the emoji and stickers will also come with animation—if you send a snowman, Christmas tree, or other snow-related stickers, for instance, snowflakes will fall across your screen. (The falling animations also pop up if you send a heart.)
If you don’t have the app on your phone and want to customize your Facebook messages on a computer, log into Messenger in a separate tab in your browser. The options will appear on the top-left side of the screen.
The updates are neat features, despite making Messenger look a bit more cluttered. They could become very annoying, however—anyone can change Messenger color and add emojis at any time. In a group message I’m in, someone changed the chat bubbles to hot pink, and the emoji to poop. The chat app turned into an assault on the eyeballs.
Still need more help? Check out our ultimate Facebook Messenger tutorial.
Additional reporting by Kristen Hubby
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Selena Larson is a technology reporter based in San Francisco who writes about the intersection of technology and culture. Her work explores new technologies and the way they impact industries, human behavior, and security and privacy. Since leaving the Daily Dot, she's reported for CNN Money and done technical writing for cybersecurity firm Dragos.