- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
I supposedly like freedom and travel, hate clingy people, and tend to be “impatient and tactless,” just like all the other Sagittarius folks out there. Thanks to a new feature by Bumble, people can now filter me out of their search for love based solely on my sign.
I’ve never put much stock in zodiac signs, horoscopes, or astrology. But astrology memes and tweets have flourished in the internet age, and with a December update, Bumble users can now filter based on zodiac signs. The change might seem strange to those of us unconcerned by the birth month of the people we date. Among users, however, support seems to be high.
was just informed that you can now filter bumble matches by their zodiac sign, goodbye ARIES hello HAPPINESS— erin taylor (@she_expired) January 10, 2019
On Twitter, women are all about the update. User @aaliyahyah_ wrote “Apparently I can filter people out by zodiac sign (and other, less important stuff) on Bumble so On my way! to only matching w Scorpio, Taurus, Virgo, Pisces, and Capricorn men.”
She wasn’t the only one excited by the new filter. “Bumble just added this feature where you can put in zodiac signs and Im fucking hyped about it,” @amateurastrolo1 wrote. “I dont even swipe right on someone but you best believe Im looking to see if their zodiac sign matches their profile.”
Apparently I can filter people out by zodiac sign (and other, less important stuff) on Bumble so On my way! to only matching w Scorpio, Taurus, Virgo, Pisces, and Capricorn men— Aaliyah (@aaliyahyah_) December 28, 2018
Bumble just added this feature where you can put in zodiac signs and Im fucking hyped about it. I dont even swipe right on someone but you best believe Im looking to see if their zodiac sign matches their profile.— amateurastrology (@amateurastrolo1) October 7, 2018
The new feature that allows you to put your zodiac sign on your Bumble profile is so dangerous because I keep going ‘ooh, a Gemini? 😬’ as if it actually matters.— Undead Bethesda Weasley III (@bettyweasley) September 24, 2018
Despite overall enthusiasm regarding the addition, there are those who’ve expressed concern over the limitations searching by zodiac sign might put on people. As certified astrologer Annabel Gat wrote for Broadly, “everyone is different, including people with the same sun sign.” (Also, there is no science in astrology.)
Despite criticism, we can be assured that plenty of people will continue to use this filter. For those who do, more power to you.
Just remember that there is more to a person than their zodiac sign.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.