- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
Orlando Uber driver who allegedly groped female passenger said she was ‘asking for that’
Ramy Botros blamed the clothes she was wearing, saying she was “asking for that.”
Cities and taxi services upset with Uber for cornering the ride-sharing market, the more alarming discord comes from the app’s passengers. Patrons have reported sexual abuse, homophobia, and stalking at the hands of their drivers, including some who have criminal pasts. On Wednesday, Orlando-based Uber driver Ramy Botros, 28, was arrested after a female passenger accused him of grabbing her breast and fondling it “in an aggressive manner.”
According to the arrest affidavit, the incident occurred on Friday evening when the woman requested a ride from a bar around 10pm to meet her boyfriend. When she entered the car, Botros repeatedly commented on her appearance before stopping the car and shoving his hand in her tank top to fondle her breast. She ordered him to stop and asked him to continue driving, but not before leaving the car with his business card.
The woman, according to police, recorded the incident because she had heard about similar sexual abuse women have experienced using the service.
After being picked out of a police lineup, Botros told police that “in Egypt, if [a] girl like her” dresses like she did, “it means she [is] asking for that,” the Orlando Sentinel reported.
Botros is currently out on bond after being booked on first-degree misdemeanor battery charges. Uber has released a statement saying it has suspended the driver’s account while investigating the charges.
Alternative car services like SheTaxi have sprung up recently to offer female riders a safer ride.
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.