- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Today 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Today 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Today 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Today 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Today 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Today 12:22 PM
- How to watch Duke vs. Cal in the 2K Empire classic Today 12:09 PM
- Trump’s impeachment notes get riffed into punk songs Today 12:01 PM
- Pete Buttigieg can’t do the Pete Buttigieg dance Today 11:55 AM
- How a woman’s cold ‘rejection form’ text message became an ’emotional labor’ meme Today 11:52 AM
- How to watch Texas vs. Georgetown in the 2K Empire classic Today 11:40 AM
- Apple cancels premiere of original film ‘The Banker’ amid sexual abuse allegations Today 11:25 AM
- Congress passes bill to safeguard Hong Kong, protesters Today 11:15 AM
- Conquer Black Friday and Cyber Monday, whether you’re shopping online or IRL Today 10:40 AM
- #DeadUploadDay: YouTubers fight new rules for monetizing kids videos Today 10:39 AM
Florida cop run over by panicked woman he’d stopped for DUI
Inebriated driver injures cop during routine DUI stop.
A Gulf Breeze, Fla. police officer was seriously injured on Monday while attempting to make a DUI stop. The driver he pulled over panicked, and caused chaos by speeding off during the traffic stop.
The officer, Sgt. Kerstan Tatro, stopped Amy Lee Giorgio, 30, just near the south end of the Pensacola Bay Bridge after observing her driving erratically. While standing outside of her car and questioning her, Tatro noticed Giorgio trying to shift her car into gear.
When he reached into the car in an attempt to stop her, Giorgio accelerated, running over the officer’s foot and dragging him for several feet before he was thrown to the side and she sped off.
Early reports clarify that Tatro suffered a broken arm in the incident but his injuries are not life threatening.
A driver who was at the scene and saw the incident followed Giorgio’s Lexus CV to the parking lot of the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grande Hotel where the Pensacola police later arrived and took her into custody.
Gulf Breeze Chief of Police Robert Randle said responding officers found drugs in Giorgio’s possession and that she appeared to be impaired during her arrest. Giorgio had been scheduled for a Jan. 20 trial on charges of possession of cocaine, possession of drug equipment, and driving under the influence was transported to Santa Rosa County Jail. According to Randle, she had previously been arrested numerous times for drug offenses and has active warrants in Escambia and Santa Rosa counties.
Photo via LSW2020/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Ikenna Anyoku was a contributor to the Daily Dot from 2014 to 2016 focusing on viral news and entertainment. He now works as a staff attorney for the Legal Aid Society in New York.