- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
Inebriated driver injures cop during routine DUI stop.
A Gulf Breeze, Fla. police officer was seriously injured on Monday while attempting to make a DUI stop. The driver he pulled over panicked, and caused chaos by speeding off during the traffic stop.
The officer, Sgt. Kerstan Tatro, stopped Amy Lee Giorgio, 30, just near the south end of the Pensacola Bay Bridge after observing her driving erratically. While standing outside of her car and questioning her, Tatro noticed Giorgio trying to shift her car into gear.
When he reached into the car in an attempt to stop her, Giorgio accelerated, running over the officer’s foot and dragging him for several feet before he was thrown to the side and she sped off.
Early reports clarify that Tatro suffered a broken arm in the incident but his injuries are not life threatening.
A driver who was at the scene and saw the incident followed Giorgio’s Lexus CV to the parking lot of the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grande Hotel where the Pensacola police later arrived and took her into custody.
Gulf Breeze Chief of Police Robert Randle said responding officers found drugs in Giorgio’s possession and that she appeared to be impaired during her arrest. Giorgio had been scheduled for a Jan. 20 trial on charges of possession of cocaine, possession of drug equipment, and driving under the influence was transported to Santa Rosa County Jail. According to Randle, she had previously been arrested numerous times for drug offenses and has active warrants in Escambia and Santa Rosa counties.
Photo via LSW2020/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Ikenna Anyoku was a contributor to the Daily Dot from 2014 to 2016 focusing on viral news and entertainment. He now works as a staff attorney for the Legal Aid Society in New York.