- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
He was carrying a backpack at the time of the shooting.
Police have killed a shooter at a movie theater in Antioch, Tennessee.
The suspect reportedly died after a shootout with several officers at the Carmike Hickory 8 theater in Antioch, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department.
At least two people were injured during the attack, reports WKRN.
Three people are reportedly being treated for exposure to pepper spray.
The shooter, whose identity has not yet been released, was armed with a gun and a hatchet, according to Metro police spokesperson Don Aaron. One moviegoer may have been injured by the hatchet, he said, but that has not yet been confirmed. Two backpacks were left behind by the shooter; a bomb disposal team is currently investigating.
Officials at the nearby Vanderbilt Hospital told local news station WSMV-TV at 2:28pm CT that they were not expecting any gunshot victims.
Mad Max: Fury Road was playing in the theater, police said.
A police dispatcher confirmed that the shooting was reported at 1:13 pm CT.
Active shooter situation @ Hickory 8 Theater — suspect dead
— Metro Nashville PD (@MNPDNashville) August 5, 2015
According to witnesses, police and assailant exchanged gunfire at Antioch Movie Theater
— American Prometheus (@daniopp) August 5, 2015
At least three emergency crews have been reported in the area, including a police SWAT team. And police have cordoned off the nearby Ford Ice Center and Global Mall.
Update: 2:42pm CT, Aug. 5: At least two people were reportedly injured during the attack.
Update: 2:52pm CT, Aug. 5: 3 people treated for pepper spray exposure.
Update: 3:03pm CT, Aug. 5: The gunman’s name has not been released, but the police have shared a few details.
Update: 7:50pm CT, Aug. 5: The shooter has reportedly been identified.
The situation is currently developing.
Photo via Sarah Ackerman/Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Jason Reed
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.