- John Mulaney rails on e-scooters after ‘baby boomer’ nearly hits his dog 4 Years Ago
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Newcastle 4 Years Ago
- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Valencia 4 Years Ago
- ‘Bully. Coward. Victim.’ dives deep into the life of an ‘evil’ man 4 Years Ago
- Paul Rudd acts his tail off in Netflix’s ‘Living With Yourself’ Today 8:15 AM
- Amazon’s ‘Modern Love’ adaptation feels like an ad for love Today 7:00 AM
- Paul Dano will play the Riddler in ‘The Batman’ Today 6:59 AM
- How Fakku pulled classic dating game True Love ’95 out of licensing hell Today 6:00 AM
- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
Gunman killed after movie theater shooting in Antioch, Tennessee
He was carrying a backpack at the time of the shooting.
Police have killed a shooter at a movie theater in Antioch, Tennessee.
The suspect reportedly died after a shootout with several officers at the Carmike Hickory 8 theater in Antioch, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department.
At least two people were injured during the attack, reports WKRN.
Three people are reportedly being treated for exposure to pepper spray.
The shooter, whose identity has not yet been released, was armed with a gun and a hatchet, according to Metro police spokesperson Don Aaron. One moviegoer may have been injured by the hatchet, he said, but that has not yet been confirmed. Two backpacks were left behind by the shooter; a bomb disposal team is currently investigating.
Officials at the nearby Vanderbilt Hospital told local news station WSMV-TV at 2:28pm CT that they were not expecting any gunshot victims.
Mad Max: Fury Road was playing in the theater, police said.
A police dispatcher confirmed that the shooting was reported at 1:13 pm CT.
Active shooter situation @ Hickory 8 Theater — suspect dead
— Metro Nashville PD (@MNPDNashville) August 5, 2015
According to witnesses, police and assailant exchanged gunfire at Antioch Movie Theater
— American Prometheus (@daniopp) August 5, 2015
At least three emergency crews have been reported in the area, including a police SWAT team. And police have cordoned off the nearby Ford Ice Center and Global Mall.
Update: 2:42pm CT, Aug. 5: At least two people were reportedly injured during the attack.
Update: 2:52pm CT, Aug. 5: 3 people treated for pepper spray exposure.
Update: 3:03pm CT, Aug. 5: The gunman’s name has not been released, but the police have shared a few details.
Update: 7:50pm CT, Aug. 5: The shooter has reportedly been identified.
The situation is currently developing.
Photo via Sarah Ackerman/Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Jason Reed
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.