- Turkish president used New Zealand shooting footage at campaign rallies 4 Years Ago
- 8 adorable tea infusers that will warm you with cuteness Today 10:26 AM
- The Super Nintendo Pro is the wireless controller of your dreams Today 10:25 AM
- Lori Loughlin reportedly dropped from ‘Fuller House’ final season Today 10:10 AM
- The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia Deluxe Edition is a true treasure Today 10:00 AM
- Even Republicans are angry with the GOP’s anti-Beto tweet Today 10:00 AM
- ‘Egg Boy’ vows to send GoFundMe money to mosque shooting victims Today 9:55 AM
- Noom is a weight loss program that prioritizes your mental health Today 9:10 AM
- Shane Dawson once joked about ejaculating on his cat—and people are furious Today 8:54 AM
- Rep. Steve King posts Civil War fantasy meme—accidentally mocks own state Today 8:41 AM
- Gaming company Valve removed tributes to Christchurch shooter Today 8:39 AM
- The best new bands at SXSW 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- 10 literary journalism classics that should be on your reading list Today 7:00 AM
- You can watch DC Universe’s acclaimed original shows for free Today 6:28 AM
- Ximena Sariñana talks capturing feminine energy on her latest album Today 6:00 AM
He was carrying a backpack at the time of the shooting.
Police have killed a shooter at a movie theater in Antioch, Tennessee.
The suspect reportedly died after a shootout with several officers at the Carmike Hickory 8 theater in Antioch, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department.
At least two people were injured during the attack, reports WKRN.
Three people are reportedly being treated for exposure to pepper spray.
The shooter, whose identity has not yet been released, was armed with a gun and a hatchet, according to Metro police spokesperson Don Aaron. One moviegoer may have been injured by the hatchet, he said, but that has not yet been confirmed. Two backpacks were left behind by the shooter; a bomb disposal team is currently investigating.
Officials at the nearby Vanderbilt Hospital told local news station WSMV-TV at 2:28pm CT that they were not expecting any gunshot victims.
Mad Max: Fury Road was playing in the theater, police said.
A police dispatcher confirmed that the shooting was reported at 1:13 pm CT.
Active shooter situation @ Hickory 8 Theater — suspect dead
— Metro Nashville PD (@MNPDNashville) August 5, 2015
According to witnesses, police and assailant exchanged gunfire at Antioch Movie Theater
— American Prometheus (@daniopp) August 5, 2015
At least three emergency crews have been reported in the area, including a police SWAT team. And police have cordoned off the nearby Ford Ice Center and Global Mall.
Update: 2:42pm CT, Aug. 5: At least two people were reportedly injured during the attack.
Update: 2:52pm CT, Aug. 5: 3 people treated for pepper spray exposure.
Update: 3:03pm CT, Aug. 5: The gunman’s name has not been released, but the police have shared a few details.
Update: 7:50pm CT, Aug. 5: The shooter has reportedly been identified.
The situation is currently developing.
Photo via Sarah Ackerman/Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Jason Reed
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.