The one upside–and I do mean one–to this whole Covid-19 situation is that big movie studios are releasing movies still in theaters online to stream. Among these early releases is Disney Pixar’s Onward.
Set in a world inhabited by mythical creatures, magic is real, but incredibly cumbersome. In fact, it’s nearly a dead art. That’s not going to stop Ian and Barley Lightfoot, two plucky teenage elves from searching out this magic to see their dearly departed father one last time.
Here’s everything you need to know to rent or buy Onward.
When will Onward release?
Onward will be available to stream Friday, March 20 at 8pm EST.
- Tom Holland as Ian Lightfoot
- Chris Pratt as Barley Lightfoot
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Laurel Lightfoot
- Octavia Spencer as Corey
- Mel Rodriguez as Colt Bronco
- Kyle Bornheimer as Wilden Lightfoot
- Lena Waithe as Specter
- Ali Wong as Gore
- Grey Griffin as Dewdrop
- Tracey Ullman as Grecklin
- Wilmer Valderrama as Gaxton
- John Ratzenberger as Fenwick
The easiest way to stream Onward
- Cost: $6.99/month or $69.99/year
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Xbox One, Playstation 4
The long-awaited streaming service will also sport one of the most beloved libraries of streaming content online. This accounts for 500 Walt Disney Studios movies and 7,000 episodes Walt Disney Television. Productions from Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, all being members of the Disney family will also be available, as well as 30 seasons of The Simpsons. Plus, like any streaming service worth its salt, there are exclusive original productions including Lady and the Tramp, Wandvision, Monsters at Work, and of course, Onward. One subscription works on up to four devices, and you can even download content directly to your device to watch anytime.
How to stream Onward online
Onward is a theatrical release, but Disney recently announced it would offer films like Onward on demand, considering many in the world will be under quarantine. Here are your options to rent or buy Onward.
- Cost: $19.99 HD
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Apple TV, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield TV, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
The online retail giant is also one of the premier destinations for online streaming. This is the easiest way to watch Onward, no question. If you already have an Amazon account, buying in either HD or 4K will take seconds, and you can watch it anywhere you stream Amazon Video, from Amazon Fire Stick to Roku.
- Cost: $19.99 HD, $24.99 4K
- Devices: Samsung Smart TVs, internet browsers, iPad, iOS devices, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Android, Visio Smart TVs
Fandango and movies go hand in hand, and not just when it comes to buying tickets online. Plenty of hits and classics are available in the FandangoNOW library, along with full seasons of your favorite shows. Onward is available on FandangoNOW in multiple formats. If you join Fandango VIP, you can rack up points to spend across Fandango and FandangoNOW.
- Cost: $14.99
- Devices: Samsung Smart TVs, Internet Browsers, iPad, iOS, Roku, Xbox One, Chromecast, Android, Vizio Smart TVs, PlayStation
Vudu is a no-fuss way to rent movies online if you don’t want to bother signing up for anything. There’s a massive library of high-quality video content, including 4K movies. There are even piles of movies you can watch free as long as you sit through a few ads. Onward is available to buy right now, in SD, HDX, and UHD. You’ll have to wait a little longer if you want to rent it.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.